Date: 2/10/20 8:19 am
From: eBird alert <alert.ebird...>
Subject: [sbcobirding] [eBird Alert] Santa Barbara County Rare Bird Alert
*** Species Summary:

- Common Merganser (1 report)
- Fork-tailed Storm-Petrel (1 report)
- Yellow-crowned Night-Heron (2 reports)
- Short-eared Owl (2 reports)
- Eastern Phoebe (1 report)

Common Merganser (Mergus merganser) (2)
- Reported Feb 08, 2020 09:58 by Jerami Prendiville
- Cachuma Lake Recreation Area, Santa Barbara US-CA (34.5779,-119.9556), Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=34.577881,-119.95564&ll=34.577881,-119.95564
- Comments: "Identified by the park ranger on this birding boat ride."

Fork-tailed Storm-Petrel (Oceanodroma furcata) (1) CONFIRMED
- Reported Feb 09, 2020 16:11 by Joel Barrett
- Northeast of Pedro Pt. Santa Cruz Island, Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=34.0568529,-119.4969831&ll=34.0568529,-119.4969831
- Media: 3 Photos
- Comments: "After seeing one earlier in the day close to the Ventura Harbor I had my camera ready in case we had another encounter. This bird was seen just north of the east end of Santa Cruz Island. The same description applies but this time I got a few photos.

Small gray bird with dark, apparently black feathering mainly along the leading edge of the upper wing highlighting a light gray carpal bar. Flew with relatively direct flight with stiff wings not exceeding much beyond the plain of the body. Rare sighting for the SB Channel."

Yellow-crowned Night-Heron (Nyctanassa violacea) (3)
- Reported Feb 09, 2020 15:23 by Silvia Echeverria
- Carpinteria Salt Marsh Nature Park, Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=34.3961231,-119.5283666&ll=34.3961231,-119.5283666
- Comments: "One male 2 females, Franklin Creek East side, stationary. Took pictures. All three birds were not fishing or moving, huddled a little and resting. Although several people walked noisily over the bridge, they did not seem to notice or care. They were on opposite bank of where they were the other day. Only one with yellow crown this time, the other two looked juvenile and had no color other than brown feathers."

Yellow-crowned Night-Heron (Nyctanassa violacea) (5) CONFIRMED
- Reported Feb 09, 2020 08:10 by Lukas Le Grice
- Carpinteria Salt Marsh Nature Park, Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=34.3961231,-119.5283666&ll=34.3961231,-119.5283666
- Comments: "5 on the bank of Franklin Creek! Amazing!!!!"

Short-eared Owl (Asio flammeus) (1) CONFIRMED
- Reported Feb 09, 2020 06:17 by Barry Rowan
- More Mesa, Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=34.4215576,-119.7963064&ll=34.4215576,-119.7963064
- Media: 1 Photo
- Comments: "Continuing"

Short-eared Owl (Asio flammeus) (1) CONFIRMED
- Reported Feb 09, 2020 06:17 by Molly Redmond
- More Mesa, Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=34.4215576,-119.7963064&ll=34.4215576,-119.7963064
- Media: 1 Photo
- Comments: "Continuing"

Eastern Phoebe (Sayornis phoebe) (1) CONFIRMED
- Reported Feb 09, 2020 08:55 by Seth Ontiveros
- Santa Maria Country Club (restricted access), Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=34.905972,-120.442061&ll=34.905972,-120.442061
- Media: 3 Photos
- Comments: "First observed by John Deacon on 2/7 at this location. I observed this bird flycatching from a low pine branch along the fence of the golf course and then foraging and perching up the fenceline to this tree: 34.9133950, -120.4491968. It then flew across the road to the Pacific Beverage Company fence before flying back to the golf course here: 34.9123585, -120.4473471. The bird was then flushed by a poor drive that came through the trees within feet of it."

View/Reply Online (#29946): https://sbcobirding.groups.io/g/main/message/29946
-=-=-
Updated status & distribution of Santa Barbara County birds: http://www.sbcobirding.com/lehmanbosbc.html
-=-=-