Date: 2/8/20 3:01 pm
From: Dave Compton <davcompton60...>
Subject: [sbcobirding] Red Crossbills, etc.
I had mixed success birding Figueroa Mtn Rd and vicinity today. I birded
many of the same areas others have reported from in the past few days:
around the Davy Brown trailhead, from the trailhead south to Ranger Peak,
the Ranger Peak conifer forest, and out E. Pinery Road about a mile.

I was lucky to see flocks of 15 and 5 Red Crossbills in quick succession
from a spot about 200 meters north of the water trough where David
Levasheff reported seeing crossbills a few days ago (sorry, Florence--wish
you had been there). Both flocks were flying from the vicinity of the water
trough, north/northwest toward the trailhead and adjacent canyon. So, like
Wes, I saw a flock that appeared to be flying down the canyon where the top
of the trail descends. These were the only crossbills I saw in four hours
of birding. I did not see Townsend's Solitaire, Cassin's Finches, or
Golden-crowned Kinglets. Red-breasted Nuthatches were common at Ranger Peak
and E. Pinery Rd. I saw exactly one Mountain Chickadee maybe 0.2 miles up
E. Pinery. Glad to know they aren't extinct. Nothing else more interesting
than a couple of Brown Creepers along E. Pinery. Overall, not a birdy day,
but it was nice to see some crossbills.

Dave Compton
Santa Barbara

View/Reply Online (#29938): https://sbcobirding.groups.io/g/main/message/29938