Date: 2/6/20 9:21 pm
From: Wes Fritz via Groups.Io <wes-fritz=<verizon.net...>
Subject: [sbcobirding] Ranger Peak
SB Birders,

I ventured up to Fig and Ranger Peak to take in some more windshield birding today.

I saw about 25 or 30ish Red X-bills this morning a couple hundred yards east of the Davey Brown Trail Head. They were very flighty and as David describes, they were headed to Fir Canyon and never returned. Well, not in the hour of waiting by the water trough. Also, please keep in mind that the water in trough has a thin layer of ice on it and still did when I left at noon. There are still other puddles up there that the birds can drink from. I would imagine if you were to hike down the Davey Brown Trail, your odds would be much higher than sitting in your car.
I also had the pleasure of hanging out with Florence and while we were exchanging notes we managed Pishing in 12 or more Red-breasted Nuthatches, 4 W. Bluebirds and a Townsend’s Solitaire.
I slowly birded the shadowy area of Ranger Peak and had two Fox Sparrows. I then hung out by the Davey Brown Trail Head and had one Townsend’s Solitaire and a Phainopela. I slowly birded my way down to Sawmill Basin, it was really birdy, but no cool finches.

Good luck and good birding.

Wes Fritz
805 895 0685
<wes-fritz...>