Date: 2/6/20 4:07 pm
From: Florence Sanchez via Groups.Io <sanchezucsb11=<yahoo.com...>
Subject: [sbcobirding] East Pinery Road Feb 6
I went up to East Pinery Road this morning, checking along the way for Crossbills and not finding any.  East Pinery Road was very birdy this morning, especially near the top, but not Crossbilss heard there.  I can furnish only a partial list of what was present because when I reached in my backpack for my binoculars, they weren't there and I had to bird by ear and eye only.  Consequently a lots of small birds in foliage went unidentified.
Nevertheless, I can say that I found Townsend's Solitaire easily, as it was making a frequent high-pitched call note that you can hear on most recordings for this species.  One source says it can make this call up to 30 times a minute, and that certainly was the case this morning.  Mountain Quail were calling from several locations, and there was an abundance of Western Bluebirds, Dark-eyed Juncos, and Red-breasted Nuthatches.  Also present:  White-breasted Nuthatches, Mountain Chickadees, Oak Titmouse, Hutton's Vireo (singing), Ruby-crowned Kinglets, 4 species of Woodpecker (Acorn, Hairy, Nuttall's, and Flicker), and a few Robins.  Chaparral birds such as Wrentit, Bewick's Wren, California Thrasher, and Spotted Towhee were all singing this morning.  I heard one Fox Sparrow and got a glimpse of another.
I listened closely for Crossbills but didn't hear any.  These birds tend to be very noisy both perched and in flight, so if I think if they were present at this spot, I would have heard them.
No action at the watering trough both on the way up and the way down.
Florence Sanchez

View/Reply Online (#29927): https://sbcobirding.groups.io/g/main/message/29927
-=-=-
-=-=-