Date: 2/6/20 1:43 am
From: Don Tate via Groups.Io <osomocoso=<yahoo.com...>
Subject: Re: [sbcobirding] Look for Condors in the Santa Ynez Mtns
Yes, look up. Happened to me in Long Cyn (trib to Apache Cyn) in 1980s. Halfway up the cyn I thought "Hey, I'm in condor country, so maybe I should look up." Result was 3 adult condors circling directly above me.
In a related vein, it was heartening to read here that someone actually went to Coal Oil Point during a recent wind event and saw kittiwakes. (Kudos to the migration observers, though.) All you pantywaist birders have stayed home with your warm cocoa on windy days and seen nothing! Little ole me has seen fulmars, a mollymawk, and a skua (whilst overlooking a flock of beached kittiwakes) on or from shore during willawaws and coromuels. Well actually, the skua/kittiwakes sighting happened in summer and not during a wind event, so that just goes to show ya the possibilities even when the wind isn't cooperating, ha ha. During strong cold fronts, a lot of pelagics must gaze impassively upon Points Sal & Conception, but no human really knows, AFAIK. Birders, sheesh!
Don Tate

View/Reply Online (#29923): https://sbcobirding.groups.io/g/main/message/29923
-=-=-
-=-=-