Date: 2/5/20 10:25 pm
From: Wes Fritz via Groups.Io <wes-fritz=<verizon.net...>
Subject: [sbcobirding] Santa Maria
SB Birders,

I birded up in Santa Maria mainly windshield birding.

My first stop was James May Park the birds of note are 7 American White Pelicans.

I then checked out the retention basin at Blosser and Canal Road and saw 2 more White Pelicans and 16 Canvasback Ducks.

The formally flooded fields on Black Road were being irrigated, but no birds.

Santa Maria Sewage had 4 Greater White-fronted Geese, 13 Bonaparte’s Gulls, 175+ Mew Gulls, 8 Glaucous-winged Gulls, 12 Herring Gulls and 2 Iceland Gulls. There was also one Western Sandpiper in the mix of 80 or so Least Sandpipers.

Jack O’Connell Park, yep sucky.

The agg fields just west of Jack O’Connell Park had 2 Pacific Golden Plovers and 4 Dunlin in the flock of 119 Black-bellied Plovers that I counted one by one. It was very windy, so I’m sure I missed a few. It was Killdeerpalooza out there as well.

SMRE, is very full and the birds were well dispersed throughout the whole estuary. It was surprisingly gulless with maybe 30 at the river mouth, with one Glaucous-winged Gull in the parking lot.

Tanglewood Pond, is the fullest I have ever seen it, with the water higher than the reeds. No good ducks.

River Park in Lompoc on 2-4-20 in the Bald Cypress at the north side of the pond there was a Red-naped/Yellow-bellied type of Sapsucker. It was extremely windy and hard to get a goo look. There was a backhoe there tearing up the Sedge along the bank. I did not stay to long to watch what they were doing.

SYRE, is way full too, lots of ducks and a Peregrine Falcon was messing it all up. There was a juvenile Western/Clark’s Grebe following its parent around begging. It was very windy and difficult to bird.

Good birding.

Wes Fritz
805 895 0685
<wes-fritz...>