Date: 2/4/20 2:23 pm
From: David Levasheff <levaweb...>
Subject: [sbcobirding] Figueroa Mountain road Red Crossbills
This am between 9:30 and 10:00 we had an estimated 47 Red Crossbills at
34.72393 -119.968405.

If you google earth this you will see a tree clump on the valley side of
the road which was a perching place for the birds. You will also note
(in satellite view) a trough. This had a layer of water (ice when we saw
it) and the birds were flying down to an in the trough to get a drink.
Three groups of birds, one about 10, one about 8 and one between 35-40.
This is probably a good spot due to the water availability.

We did see a group near the large parking area just before the Road
closed gate, along with a large flock of Meadowlarks and a smaller flock
of Western Bluebirds.

We did not see any at E. Pinery Rd.

--

David