Date: 2/3/20 7:00 am
From: eBird alert <alert.ebird...>
Subject: [sbcobirding] [eBird Alert] Santa Barbara County Rare Bird Alert
*** Species Summary:

- Tufted Duck (1 report)
- Black-legged Kittiwake (1 report)
- Red-billed Tropicbird (1 report)
- Red Crossbill (1 report)
- Northern Waterthrush (1 report)

Tufted Duck (Aythya fuligula) (1)
- Reported Jan 30, 2020 07:50 by Becky Turley
- Lauro Canyon Reservoir, Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=34.4557306,-119.7257638&ll=34.4557306,-119.7257638
- Comments: "known rarity. Tuft easily recognizable. No white shoulder spur."

Black-legged Kittiwake (Rissa tridactyla) (2)
- Reported Feb 02, 2020 16:22 by Linus Blomqvist
- Coal Oil Point--Devereux Beach and Sands Beach, Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=34.4071359,-119.8783064&ll=34.4071359,-119.8783064
- Media: 2 Photos
- Comments: "One adult and one juvenile seen while seawatching in very strong north-westerly winds. Juvenile (very crappy photos included) with unmistakable black M over wings, black patch on back of head, angular wings and differing flight style from the non-pelagic gulls present. I saw it fly by at fairly close range and it landed briefly on the water, which is when I took some photos with my phone through my scope. Adult passed by at rather close range, with pale plumage overall, entirely black wing tips, yellow-ish bill, and some shading behind the head. Similar to the juvenile, the flight style differed markedly from the other gulls and felt more "confident" in the very strong winds. Having seen thousands of black-legged kittiwakes elsewhere, I recognize their style and structure. I saw another dozen gulls further out that I'm fairly confident were also kittiwakes, but I'll leave the reported number to just those two that came closer and allowed positive ID."

Red-billed Tropicbird (Phaethon aethereus) (1)
- Reported Feb 02, 2020 09:30 by Phil Swan
- 32.2390, -123.2135, Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=32.239013,-123.2135&ll=32.239013,-123.2135
- Comments: "Not close viewing but large tern shaped bird flying at about 15-20 feet above the swell.Pure white except for striking all-black wedge on primaries.Too distant to note bill details or tail feathers. I don't know what other bird would have that characteristic wing pattern."

Red Crossbill (Loxia curvirostra) (12) CONFIRMED
- Reported Feb 02, 2020 10:41 by John Callender
- Ranger Peak, Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=34.7241457,-119.9495915&ll=34.7241457,-119.9495915
- Media: 4 Photos
- Comments: "Flock foraging and calling in a large pine just northwest of the Figueroa Mountain Road turnout at the gate for East Pinery. Saw 4 birds well; count is an estimate from when the flock all flew from the tree at once."

Northern Waterthrush (Parkesia noveboracensis) (1) CONFIRMED
- Reported Feb 01, 2020 09:45 by Tom Boucher
- Carpinteria Creek Estuary, Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=34.3907409,-119.5198238&ll=34.3907409,-119.5198238
- Media: 4 Photos
- Comments: "Small Thrush like bird with yellowish eye stripe and spotted belly. Tail wagging while it foraged along in the leaf litter adjacent to the creek"

View/Reply Online (#29913): https://sbcobirding.groups.io/g/main/message/29913
-=-=-
Updated status & distribution of Santa Barbara County birds: http://www.sbcobirding.com/lehmanbosbc.html
-=-=-