Date: 2/2/20 6:45 am
From: eBird alert <alert.ebird...>
Subject: [sbcobirding] [eBird Alert] Santa Barbara County Rare Bird Alert
*** Species Summary:

- Tundra Swan (1 report)
- Eurasian Wigeon (1 report)
- Common Poorwill (1 report)
- American Bittern (1 report)
- Yellow-crowned Night-Heron (1 report)
- Red-tailed Hawk (fuertesi) (1 report)
- Short-eared Owl (2 reports)
- Tropical Kingbird (2 reports)
- Northern Waterthrush (1 report)
- Pine Warbler (1 report)

Tundra Swan (Cygnus columbianus) (1)
- Reported Feb 01, 2020 08:00 by Andrew McGrath
- Lake Los Carneros Park, Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=34.44322,-119.84975&ll=34.44322,-119.84975
- Comments: "swimming alongside mute swan"

Eurasian Wigeon (Mareca penelope) (1) CONFIRMED
- Reported Feb 01, 2020 10:00 by John Deacon
- Santa Maria Mesa Road Ponds, Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=34.8837715,-120.279007&ll=34.8837715,-120.279007
- Media: 1 Photo
- Comments: "Ongoing. Today it was in the SE pond that was packed with 126 RNDU and 23 AMWI."

Common Poorwill (Phalaenoptilus nuttallii) (1)
- Reported Feb 02, 2020 06:21 by John Callender
- De la Guerra Spring Area, Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=34.6786805,-119.9198377&ll=34.6786805,-119.9198377
- Comments: "Flushed from Happy Canyon Road n the predawn. Small, cryptic nightjar with buffy outer corners of its tail."

American Bittern (Botaurus lentiginosus) (1) CONFIRMED
- Reported Feb 01, 2020 10:28 by David Compton
- Lake Los Carneros Park, Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=34.44322,-119.84975&ll=34.44322,-119.84975
- Comments: "Continuing, in emergent vegetation opposite east end of dam, on north side of lake."

Yellow-crowned Night-Heron (Nyctanassa violacea) (1) CONFIRMED
- Reported Feb 01, 2020 08:52 by John Callender
- Carpinteria Salt Marsh Nature Park, Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=34.3961231,-119.5283666&ll=34.3961231,-119.5283666
- Media: 1 Photo
- Comments: "Continuing. An adult in the Franklin Creek channel south of the footbridge, sporting a nice set of head plumes."

Red-tailed Hawk (fuertesi) (Buteo jamaicensis fuertesi) (1)
- Reported Feb 01, 2020 11:11 by Timothy Gotsick
- Mud Lake at Via Santa Maria, Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=34.8732266,-120.4130104&ll=34.8732266,-120.4130104
- Comments: "No belly band, nearly white until upper chest"

Short-eared Owl (Asio flammeus) (1) CONFIRMED
- Reported Feb 01, 2020 06:15 by Barry Rowan
- More Mesa, Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=34.4215576,-119.7963064&ll=34.4215576,-119.7963064
- Media: 1 Photo
- Comments: "Continuing"

Short-eared Owl (Asio flammeus) (1) CONFIRMED
- Reported Feb 01, 2020 06:15 by Molly Redmond
- More Mesa, Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=34.4215576,-119.7963064&ll=34.4215576,-119.7963064
- Media: 1 Photo
- Comments: "Continuing"

Tropical Kingbird (Tyrannus melancholicus) (1)
- Reported Feb 01, 2020 10:17 by Libby Patten
- Devereux Slough, Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=34.4136013,-119.8756027&ll=34.4136013,-119.8756027
- Comments: "Continuing. On wire above Venoco Rd."

Tropical Kingbird (Tyrannus melancholicus) (1) CONFIRMED
- Reported Feb 01, 2020 11:28 by John Deacon
- Fairway Drive x A Street, Santa Maria, Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=34.913315,-120.46393&ll=34.913315,-120.46393
- Media: 1 Photo
- Comments: "Ongoing rarity. Found by the pond immediately next to Fairway."

Northern Waterthrush (Parkesia noveboracensis) (1)
- Reported Feb 01, 2020 09:50 by margeNdon thornton
- CarpCreekAt6th, Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=34.3928519,-119.5168948&ll=34.3928519,-119.5168948
- Media: 2 Photos
- Comments: "after a long wait he came down to the water and then went back to forage in the leaves at the base of the tree. A slender warbler uniform brown on top, white under (actually a very light yellow green cast) with dense dark stripes on the breast."

Pine Warbler (Setophaga pinus) (1)
- Reported Feb 01, 2020 09:04 by Jamie Chavez
- Rod Rodenberger Park, Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=34.9095678,-120.4304042&ll=34.9095678,-120.4304042
- Media: 4 Photos
- Comments: "This is a continuing bird found on January 25, 2020 at this location but seen poorly on that date. Although I felt the ID was correct I was hesitant to say for certain without better looks. This is my fourth attempt to find this bird. Today it was discovered in a mixed flock of mostly Yellow-rumped Warblers, a couple of Western Bluebirds, a couple of Ruby-crowned Kinglets, and White-crowned Sparrows in a corner of the Miramonte Park ball field which sits next to Rodenberger Park. It was very close to where I had seen it the previous week. Several photos were obtained. I had been chasing the flock around the park and watched as the warblers would drop to the grass to feed. This is where I eventually spotted the Pine Warbler when I saw the olive and yellow coloration which looked altogether different from adjacent Yellow-rumped Warblers. It was identified by its mostly olive-brown colored plumage, brownish back, buffy flanks, it lacked the yellow-rump and any breast streaking, it showed two whitish wing bars, and the face and upper breast were brighter yellow color and it showed a contrasting dark cheek. The tail was long and looked slightly forked. The face showed a strong eye line and a broken eye ring. The bill was long and pointed. The flock eventually flushed into the trees and then broke up where I lost it. Somehow I relocated the bird in a couple of different pines as it moved around. The best photos were taken when the bird flew into a Canary Island pine around 34.908676, -120.430698."

View/Reply Online (#29911): https://sbcobirding.groups.io/g/main/message/29911
-=-=-
Updated status & distribution of Santa Barbara County birds: http://www.sbcobirding.com/lehmanbosbc.html
-=-=-