Date: 1/26/20 7:06 pm
From: Mark Holmgren <maholmgren33...>
Subject: [sbcobirding] Early Breeding Bird Records
Yo! Birders and astute Naturalists!

We have already received some submissions of breeding birds in SB County in
2020. Great Blue Herons at Coal Oil Point Reserve were at 2 nests and were
clearly rearranging sticks on 14 January. 8 of 16 GBHe nests at Goleta
Beach were occupied (birds standing at or on the nest) on 24 Jan. Other
records received are of Red-tailed Hawks carrying sticks and nests of
Anna's and Allen's Hummingbirds.

These breeding initiation records are important. For example, the Breeding
Bird Study information led the Coastal Commission to revise its guideline
for GBHe nesting from 15 February to 15 January. This kind of data-driven
change in management is one of many uses of the BBS data.

Submit your data, and attach your photo evidence if you are able to obtain
it, at the SB Audubon website:

https://santabarbaraaudubon.org/sb-breeding-bird-survey-data-submittal/

Currently, we don't have a way of interacting with the 8118 breeding bird
records (since Google shut down its Fusion Table app), but Adrian and I and
others are working to find a new interactive platform. Meanwhile, keep the
records coming.

Thank you,

Mark

View/Reply Online (#29881): https://sbcobirding.groups.io/g/main/message/29881