Date: 1/25/20 3:51 am
From: David Larson <dlarson...>
Subject: [NHBirds] Superbowl of Birding XVII Update #1
Welcome to the Superbowl of Birding XVII

This year 17 teams totaling 80 birders are out seeking the rarest birds in Essex County Massachusetts and Rockingham County New Hampshire since kick-off at 5 am.
Who will win the Zeiss Joppa Cup for the most points accrued today? Or the Director's Cup for the most species? Or one of the other eight prizes. We'll find out this evening when the scores are tallied.
In the meantime, I will be bringing you the highlights as teams call in their 5-point birds (the rarest species) and hope to be first to report that species and get the 3-point bonus.

And, finally*, the phone started ringing:
0641 The Thrashers called with a Marsh Wren at Great Neck in Ipswich, MA
0643 The 4th and Longspurs reported a Semipalmated Plover at Ragged Neck in Rye, NH

*Well, I suppose it is fair to point out that it is barely beginning to get light outside....

The Superbowl of Birding would not be possible without the generous support of our lead corporate sponsor, Zeiss, as well as support from Birdwatcher's Supply and Gift, Joppa Flats Education Center, and anonymous donors.

David M. Larson, Ph.D., Science and Education Coordinator
Joppa Flats Education Center, Mass Audubon, 1 Plum Island Turnpike, Newburyport, MA 01950
Telephone:  (978) 462-9998      E-mail:  <dlarson...>