Date: 1/24/20 8:10 am
From: David Larson <dlarson...>
Subject: [NHBirds] Tomorrow is Superbowl of Birding Day
Oh yes, not the ridiculous "American football" thing in February, but the actual, real, relevant Superbowl of Birding XVII is happening on 1/25/2020! So tomorrow, from 5am - 5pm, teams of 4-7 participants will be out and about in Essex County Massachusetts and Rockingham County New Hampshire looking for birds, the rarer the better.

You, the non-participating birder, can help with this contest by not helping teams find birds, except by posting to Massbird, New Hampshire Birds, or eBird (teams are not allowed to get outside help otherwise) and by not laughing at the names of the teams (at least not in their faces).

In order to make sure that everyone gets a chance to see rare birds, teams are required to call in 5-point birds to the judges here at Joppa Flats. For the rest of the rules, if you are interested, see https://www.massaudubon.org/get-outdoors/wildlife-sanctuaries/joppa-flats/news-events/superbowl-of-birding.

And, of course, if you want to get in on the action and one of the ten prizes, there is still time. Get your team together (we can't do that for you) and give us a call!

We do not have a halftime show with hoop-de-do entertainers, and no millionaire contestants (as far as we know), but then no pigs are harmed in the preparation for our Superbowl. I will be posting frequent updates on rare bird sightings during the day tomorrow on these listservs. Get in on the excitement, go see the birds yourself, or delete, delete, delete. Anyway, have a great Saturday.

The Superbowl of Birding would not be possible without the generous support of our lead corporate sponsor Zeiss, as well as the support of Birdwatcher's Supply and Gift, Joppa Flats, and our anonymous donors.

Stay tuned.
Dave

David M. Larson, Ph.D., Science and Education Coordinator
Joppa Flats Education Center, Mass Audubon, 1 Plum Island Turnpike, Newburyport, MA 01950
Telephone:  (978) 462-9998      E-mail:  <dlarson...>