Date: 1/24/20 5:47 am
From: Leo McKillop <weomck...>
Subject: [NHBirds] Eastmans trip 1/23/2020
Was only in NH waters from 7-8am and 3-4pm. Was in MA waters rest of the
trip. While in NH waters I still managed dovekie, common murre,
black-legged kittiwake, and razorbill.
As opposed to previous trips the vast majority of the alcids were seen on
Jeffrey's ledge (not in between Shoals and Jeffrey's).
In MA waters I stopped counting dovekies around noon with 675 and that was
conservative.
Thick-billed Murre - 2
Puffin- 2
Common Murre - plenty but unsure at moment
Razorbill- plenty but unsure at moment
Kittiwakes: 100
Iceland Gull- 3
Glaucous Gull - 1
Lesser Black-backed Gull - 1
large alcids- 200
Northern Fulmar - none

still going through photos to get a better idea of the split between common
murre, razorbill, and large alcids.
The dovekie show continued from noon til 2 when we finally headed back. I
didn't count but I'd estimate AT LEAST another 400. There wasn't a moment
when I couldn't find one to four in view within 10 seconds, from 9am til 2
pm they were everywhere, flying and on the water.

Conditions were not ideal, SW wind of 15-20 kt kicked up the waves complete
with white caps until around noon when it settled down. They didn't find
any fish until 12:30 or 1pm so they stayed out later than normal having
finally found a good spot. On the way back (in between naps) I mainly
concentrated on the gulls following the boat. Immature Glaucous, Iceland,
and a Lesser Black-backed were the highlights. Like on previous trips the
alcid #s were drastically reduced on the way back.

--
-Leo McKillop