Date: 1/23/20 11:50 am
From: John Greenwood via VA-bird <va-bird...>
Subject: [VA-bird] Hawk antics at Mason District Park
This morning a juvie Red-shouldered Hawk provided several minutes of serendipitous entertainment for me. I observed the hawk lunge into the brushy slope behind the theater in the park. After a minute or two bouncing around in the brush it emerged onto an adjacent trail with it’s breakfast, apparently a small rodent. Then the fun began, it would toss its morsel into the air and then pounce on it; it repeated this action several times, all the while ignoring me although I was relatively close by. Mason District Park, located east of Annandale on Columbia Pike, is a small gem. Although not as birdie as you might expect it provides a variety of terrain, many trails, a couple streams and enough hills to encourage a bit of heavy breathing; check it out!

Jack Greenwood
Falls Church

Sent from my iPhone