Date: 1/22/20 6:37 pm
From: Fowles, Robert B <rbf...>
Subject: Summary of the 2019 State College Christmas Bird Count
The 2019 State College Christmas Count was held on December 15, the second day of the count season. We had eleven groups in the field that day, including one group that did three hours of owling in the general Colyer Lake area, and two people watching bird feeders. The weather was seasonal, with a low of 11 degrees in early morning and 25 at midday. There was no snow on the ground and no precipitation during the day. Given the date, the wind was very reasonable, between 5 and 10 miles per hour, although several found the day to be quite windy.

The bird lists are below. Birds of note are the Bald Eagles, which have occurred on the count before, but rarely, especially before 2001. Bald Eagles have had a considerable recovery in the U.S. in general, and Pennsylvania in particular. The mild December weather increased our waterfowl numbers. Historically robins were around in small numbers, but with the mild weather they occur more often, and with greater numbers. The Meadowlark occurs regularly, but only in very small numbers. The Phoebes are an indication of the mild weather. This was only the seventh year for them in the 80 years of the State College count. Vultures are similar. Black Vultures occurred for only the 8th time and Turkey Vultures for the 6th. The Orange-crowned Warbler was the third occurrence.

Each year we are happy to have people participate. Contact Bob Fowles or me about Thanksgiving next year or send us a note now and we will add you to our list.

Thanks to all who participated!

Jim Dunn (<jwd6...>)
Bob Fowles (<rbf...>)

Canada Goose 290