Date: 1/22/20 4:34 pm
From: Shilo McDonald <shilocm...>
Subject: [MASSBIRD] Black Guillemots + Iceland Gull, Eastern Point, 1-21
MassBirders,
On Tuesday, I spent a good 30 minutes with two very cooperative Black Guillemots, who I found swimming, diving, eating and vocalizing just off the Dog Bar Lighthouse at Eastern Point in Gloucester. This was easily, the closest proximity I've ever been to Black Guillemots.

Also seen, a first winter Iceland Gull --> Another bird who allowed me and my 200mm lens to stand awfully close. As the pictures show!

Note: The American Pipits continue at Brace Cove.

eBird Checklist with SIXTY-ONE photos!
https://ebird.org/checklist/S63680333

Text only checklist below.

Good Birding!
Mr. Shilo McDonald; Lynn, MA
ShiloCM at Yahoo dot com

Eastern Point--General Area, Essex, Massachusetts, US
Jan 21, 2020 12:07 PM - 3:48 PM
Protocol: Traveling
4.05 mile(s)
Checklist Comments:    Sam Zhang showed up at Brace Cove while I was there, until a police officer asked him to move his illegally parked car. Thankfully, I parked at MassAudubon, walked to Brace Cove, and then walked back. Birded the whole time. Great afternoon for it. Cold, breezy, and partially cloudy, with nice bouts of sunshine. Took some great photographs! Including my first ever pictures taken of an Iceland Gull! Oh and especially of note; I saw a Red Fox cross the frozen Niles Pond. And over at the Dog Bar Lighthouse, I had an incredible up-close experience with two Black Guillemots. Good birding!!
43 species (+3 other taxa)

Canada Goose  26
Gadwall  28
American Wigeon  2    Both males. Foraging with Mallards at Brace Cove.
Mallard  58
American Black Duck  16
Mallard x American Black Duck (hybrid)  1    Foraging with Mallards in Brace Cove. Photos attached.
Greater Scaup  1
Common Eider  300    Conservative Estimate. Large flotilla seen out in the ocean.
Surf Scoter  14
White-winged Scoter  16
Black Scoter  4
Long-tailed Duck  3
Bufflehead  17    Seen in every place which had water.
Common Goldeneye  9
Common Merganser  1    Male. In the ocean off Eastern Point Lighthouse. Had to do a double-take. Not used to seeing Common Mergansers in salt-water.
Red-breasted Merganser  13
Rock Pigeon (Feral Pigeon)  5
Mourning Dove  3
Purple Sandpiper  57    On the ocean facing side of the Dog Bar Breakwater.
Black Guillemot  2    Great views! Hanging out together near the little lighthouse at the end of the Dog Bar Breakwater.
alcid sp.  3    Black and white. Flying below the horizon in the distance.
Herring Gull  65
Iceland Gull  1    Sitting on the rock wall of the Dog Bar Breakwater. Photographs attached.
Great Black-backed Gull  27
gull sp.  300    Too far away to ID.
Common Loon  7
Great Cormorant  1    Photographed flying west over the water.
Red-tailed Hawk  1
Red-bellied Woodpecker  1
Downy Woodpecker  4
Blue Jay  5
American Crow  7
Black-capped Chickadee  6
Tufted Titmouse  3
White-breasted Nuthatch  1
Carolina Wren  3    Seen and heard. Beerrt!
European Starling  42
American Robin  16
House Sparrow  24
American Pipit  2    Foraging the beach at Brace Cove. I photographed several American Pipits in this exact same spot back on December 1st. Could these be two of those same birds? Photos attached.
House Finch  2
American Goldfinch  3
Dark-eyed Junco  3
White-throated Sparrow  5