Date: 1/22/20 3:31 pm
From: Robert O'Brien <baro...>
Subject: [obol] Re: Columbia Estuary Gull Report - 1/21/2020
Alan is completely correct about pre eBird records. But it need not be that
way as there are no issues with entering old records into eBird. In fact
many such databases have already been entered. Some for instance by a
single volunteer scouring through old Audubon Society monthly newsletter
summaries. Such records might include the name of the original Observer or
just the name of the volunteer or just Audubon Society as an example.
Bob obrien

On Wednesday, January 22, 2020, Alan Contreras <acontrer56...> wrote:

> OBOLoids, the last sentence is worth noting, as high counts for some
> species can be pre-eBird or simply not entered in eBird. For example, gull
> counts in Marion County were huge in the 1970s-80s before the landfill near
> the river closed. Shorebird counts at Newport were more varied and no
> doubt sometimes higher before the boat basins were built around 1980.
>

> Alan Contreras, old birder
> <acontrer56...>
> Eugene, Oregon
>
> www.alanlcontreras.com
>

> On Jan 22, 2020, at 7:00 AM, Philip Kline <pgeorgekline...> wrote:
>
> Hi David:
>
> If you choose the "Explore Region" option in ebird, you can type in a
> County or a State. That will bring up a page showing recent species seen
> in that region. There are several tabs in two sets at the top you can then
> choose, including a useful bar chart and also high counts for each
> species. My favorite is the illustrated checklist. The high counts of
> course only include those entered into the database, so may not be the
> actual high count for the region.
>
> Philip

Join us on Facebook!