Date: 1/22/20 2:40 pm
From: Kay Johnson <0000002d57029402-dmarc-request...>
Subject: Re: [VTBIRD] mystery bird
This happens often when I walk my dog on my road in winter. The ruffed grouse erupts also from snow to perch in the woods outside my back door. I see their tracks under bird feeder and on road from time to time, but most often when they are startled and fly from ground to perch for safety. Kay

Kay <Johnsonkj813...>
On Saturday, January 11, 2020, Maeve Kim <maevulus...> wrote:

My guess is that it was a Ruffed Grouse. They erupt from under the snow if they’re startled by walkers, hikers or dogs (considerably startling the walkers, hikers and dogs in the process!). They’re bigger than robins, but it’s not always easy to determine size when you get just a quick glance and you’re startled.
Maeve Kim, Jericho Center

> On Jan 11, 2020, at 3:49 PM, Teage O'Connor <badger.meli...> wrote:
>
> Last night I hiked up Camel's Hump. Just as we were approaching the summit
> (about 9pm), my dog flushed a bird from under the last fir/spruce trees. It
> nearly flew into me before veering off course and off into the thick
> clouds. While I didn't see exactly where it was roosting, it seemed like it
> erupted from the ground (or beneath the snow). The bird was roughly robin
> sized and flew with rapid, steady flapping, and it's wings didn't whistle
> or thump when it flew. First, how startling to encounter a bird at 4000' in
> the winter. And second, what are the possible options for what bird this
> would be? There aren't a lot of eBird reports on Camel's Hump for winter.
>
> --
> Teage O'Connor
> CrowsPath.org <https://crowspath.org/> | Phyllotaxy.com
> <https://www.phyllotaxy.com/>
>
> *Subscribe to the Wild Burlington natural history newsletter*
> https://www.phyllotaxy.com/newsletter-signup/

Join us on Facebook!