Date: 1/22/20 2:08 pm
Subject: Chasing the Scissor-tailed Flycatcher, access to Jenkins Farm Road
W 22 Jan 2020

All,

I've chased the Scissor-tailed Flycatcher on Jenkins Road, Johns Island,
SC on both Monday (late morning) and today, Wednesday (early afternoon). I
too saw the signs indicating private property and was initially careful and
deliberate to stay at my car just off the paved drive entrance. The street
sign on River Road marking Jenkins Farm Road was, after all, a green sign
and not a blue sign. It is my understanding that green signs are used for
county roads (i.e., public) and that blue signs are used for private roads,
i.e., for privately maintained roads.

I have spoken with three local residents who stopped and inquired if I
was chasing the bird; they asked me from a point of prior knowledge. Each
was quite intrigued and interested with the prospects of there being a rare
bird there, though two of them did say that the fields where I was standing
was not their property, that their property was further down the road.

One of these local residents did indicate the the owner would likely not
appreciate anyone being in the field; I assured him that I would not be
going into the field but would rather stay on the dirt road and on the
immediate shoulders. He didn't think that the owners (of the field) would
mind my presence there on and immediately alongside the road.

I had very pleasant interactions with all three of these local
residents, enjoyed sharing information about the bird, and was left feeling
welcomed to look for the bird from the road. Many other vehicles drove past
during my time on Jenkins Farm Road, some obviously commercial, others not
obviously commercial. Almost all drivers exchanged brief hand waves with
me. No one suggested that I ought not be there. I felt welcomed.

My specific suggestion would be to go ahead and look for the target bird
from the road and immediate shoulders without going into the field at all.

Regards,

David McLean
Charleston, SC

--