Date: 1/22/20 1:56 pm
From: David Weaver <cygnus-dkw...>
Subject: [MASSBIRD] Salisbury Beach State Reservation & Plum Island (Parker River NWR) - 01-22-2020
David Moon and I led today's edition of Wednesday Morning Birding out of
Joppa Flats Education Center, first to Salisbury Beach State Reservation
and next to Parker River National Wildlife Refuge.  (FYI, the refuge
gate at Hellcat was closed when we arrived around 11:30 and remained
closed at least until our departure at 12:20.)  Beautiful day: skies,
clear; temps, in upper teens to low 30s; and winds, NW/0-5 mph.

Our list:

Salisbury Beach --
American Black Duck - common.
Common Eider (~ 150) - mostly river mouth.
White-winged Scoter (6)
Bufflehead - common.
Common Goldeneye (5)
Red-breasted Merganser (~ 8)
Rock Pigeon
Purple Sandpiper (5) - jetty.
Ring-billed Gull - common.
Herring Gull - common.
Great Black-backed Gull (~ 6)
Common Loon (2)
Northern Harrier (1) - 1st-winter male.
Sharp-shinned Hawk (1)
Bald Eagle (1) - juv.
Red-tailed Hawk (1)
Snowy Owl (1) - on jetty, 75 yds from end.
American Crow (~ 5)
Horned Lark (7) - boat ramp parking area.
Northern Mockingbird (1)
European Starling
House Sparrow (1)
Savannah Sparrow (3) - boat ramp parking area.
Song Sparrow (5) - mostly boat ramp parking area.

Parker River NWR --
Canada Goose - common.
American Black Duck - common.
Common Eider (2) - one ocean.
White-winged Scoter (3) - one ocean.
Black Scoter (2) - one ocean.
Horned Grebe (2) - one ocean.
Rock Pigeon
Mourning Dove
Sanderling (9) - one beach.
Herring Gull - common.
Northern Harrier (1)
Cooper's Hawk (1) - flying south, parking lot #1.
* Snowy Owl (1) - Salisbury jetty bird seen from one platform. *
Northern Shrike (1) - s. end North Field.
American Robin (1)
Song Sparrow (4) - roadside.

Please be reminded that Saturday Morning Birding will not be held this
week because of Superbowl of Birding XVII that day.

We will meet again next week back at Joppa Flats at 0930 for Wednesday
Morning Birding. For more information about Joppa Flats programs, call
David Moon or Dave Larson at 978-462-9998.

Dave Weaver
Manchester, MA 01944
<cygnus-dkw...>

Join us on Facebook!