Date: 1/22/20 12:11 pm
From: Dennis Arendt <dennisarendt...>
Subject: [obol] Say's Phoebe near Mt. Pisgah
The Eugene Wednesday bird group went to the north end of Mount Pisgah. The
dark skies kept the birds quiet for the first half hour. We walked through
the fields and west on Parrish Road to the yellow gate at the Nature
Conservancy Property. In the field west of the gate we found a SAY’S
PHOEBE bobbing its tail and flying from the low weedy stems. We walked
back toward the open field which borders the other part of the Nature
Conservancy land. Here we found a large flock of about fifty American
Pipits. They landed in the short grass and became invisible; finally, some
began to perch on higher sticks and brush. When we approached closer, they
flew off allowing an opportunity to estimate their number. Several ducks,
egrets and kingfishers were found in the pond. Here is our complete list.

Cackling Goose – 14 flying over

Canada Goose – a few in the pond

Gadwall – 10 or so in the pond

American Wigeon – the most common duck

Ring-necked Duck – about 40 in the pond

Bufflehead – 20 or so

Pied-billed Grebe - 3

Anna's Hummingbird

Double-crested Cormorant – about 4

Great Blue Heron – 2 in the rookery to the east of the yellow gate

Great Egret - 3

Bald Eagle – one white headed and one immature

Red-tailed Hawk

Belted Kingfisher – 3 flying together

Red-breasted Sapsucker - one

Downy Woodpecker

Northern Flicker

Black Phoebe - one

SAY'S PHOEBE – one in the fields west of the yellow gate

California Scrub-Jay

American Crow

Black-capped Chickadee

Bushtit

Ruby-crowned Kinglet

White-breasted Nuthatch - two

Brown Creeper – one only

Pacific Wren

Bewick's Wren – five or six

European Starling

Varied Thrush – two seen and heard

Hermit Thrush – one spotted by most of the group

American Robin

American Pipit - fifty

Purple Finch - three

Fox Sparrow – common in the blackberries

Dark-eyed Junco – several busy flocks

White-crowned Sparrow – mixed in with the golden-crowns

Golden-crowned Sparrow – a few large groups

Song Sparrow – scattered and common

Lincoln's Sparrow - one

Spotted Towhee - common

Western Meadowlark – 4 seen in the large field west of the yellow gate

Judy Franzen, Sue Hutchinson, Ellen Cantor, Tom Cable, Jim Mitchell, Jim
Regali, Kit Larsen, Scott McNeeley and Dennis Arendt

Join us on Facebook!