Date: 1/22/20 12:07 pm
From: Daniel Getman <000002b3a133f539-dmarc-request...>
Subject: Lots of Eagles along the Mississippi
After a couple days of near zero temperatures, following an ice storm, yesterday’s forecast was for sunny skies, temperatures in the 20s and winds from the south. These are ideal conditions for photographing eagles below the dam at Canton, MO and the cold weather usually results in the eagles again congregating below dams on the Mississippi River.

Unfortunately, the morning was cloudy, but then cleared up, resulting in perfect conditions. There were at least 20-30 eagles sitting in the trees along about 500 yards of bank, that were very active catching small fish.

But the coolest thing were the eagles sitting in a big tree, just above a small creek, which runs into the Mississippi, below the dam. The creek was not frozen over and must have had fish in it, which the eagles quickly figured out. They would simply drop down from the tree, grab a fish and fly along the creek out to the Mississippi River, then circle back to the tree. It took me a while to see what was actually happening. Once I did, I sat in my car and tried to get some photos.

I’ve photographed a lot of eagles over the last ten years, but this was the closest I’ve ever been - I would estimate the creek was only 20-30 feet away and below me. They were so close, I had to retract my 100-400mm lens to around 100-135mm.

All-in-all, a very fun day. The eagle counts at the various dams are usually done on Wednesdays, so they should be published today or tomorrow.

Photos can be found at: flickr.com/photos/dgetman/sets

Dan Getman, Kirksville, northeast MO

ABA Birding Code of Ethics
http://www.aba.org/about/ethics.html

Join us on Facebook!