Date: 1/22/20 8:21 am
From: Mike Patterson <celata...>
Subject: [obol] ebird "wrong species" reports
I note that my photos of putative Glaucous Gulls have (apparently)
all been tagged "wrong species". I will grant you that the bird
with the dirty bill is equivocal and may, in fact, be misidentified,
but there's not much value in tagging the report if the observer
is not also notified so that corrections (or rebuttals) can be
made.

https://ebird.org/pnw/checklist/S63644701

I suspect that the offending bird in the series (which also includes
real GLGU) is the same bird Phil Kline noted the previous day remarking
"At least one bird I saw closely was possibly a hybrid, but the bill was
quite petite, almost true Iceland-like." My first impression was
Iceland Gull as well. It's probably not an Iceland, but it's awfully
small for a GWxGL as well. So, if it is a hybrid, who are the parents?

--
Mike Patterson
Astoria, OR

Join us on Facebook!