Date: 1/22/20 7:29 am
From: Bridget Butler <birddiva...>
Subject: [VTBIRD] Consider Joining Birder Broker
Greetings All!

Are you a birding enthusiast who is looking to explore new lands and form
connections in your community? Then consider joining Birder Broker! We want
you to help us advance bird conservation in Vermont!

About Birder Broker

Birder Broker <https://val.vtecostudies.org/projects/birder-broker/> is a
collaborative program between the Vermont Center for Ecostudies’s Vermont
Atlas of Life <http://val.vtecostudies.org/> and Bird Diva Consulting
<https://www.birddiva.com/> that pairs landowners with experienced birders
to survey breeding bird populations on forested properties throughout
Vermont. As a Birder Broker volunteer, you will visit your assigned
landowner’s property on three separate occasions in June and July. During
these visits, you will walk a 1-mile loop on the property and record the
birds you encounter using Vermont eBird. By participating, you will get to
explore previously un-birded territory while helping to further bird
conservation in Vermont. Sounds pretty neat, right?

Our vision for Birder Broker

Currently, over 80% of Vermont’s forested land is privately owned.
Meanwhile, most bird population monitoring occurs on public land.
Similarly, many birders choose to spend their time at birding ‘hotspots’
that are open to the public. This means that we are missing a big piece of
the puzzle when it comes to understanding Vermont’s bird populations.
Through Birder Broker, we aim to obtain data on breeding bird population
trends on private lands, provide landowners with data to use in their
management plans, and build a larger community around bird conservation.

Tools for success

We have few requirements for those interested in becoming a Birder Broker
volunteer. However, we do require that birders are:

· Proficient at identifying Vermont forest bird species

· Able to use VT eBird checklists or willing to learn (guidance
provided)

· Interested in sharing their bird knowledge with their landowner
partner

· Able to walk their assigned birding route a minimum of two times
from June 1st to July 31st

Getting started

Birder Broker cannot succeed without passionate birders who are eager to
take their birding to the next level. If this sounds like you, then it’s
time to fill out an application
<https://val.vtecostudies.org/projects/birder-broker/join-birder-broker/>!
We expect to begin reviewing applications in February and aim to notify
pairs by April 1st.

For more information on Birder Broker, please explore our website
<https://val.vtecostudies.org/projects/birder-broker/join-birder-broker/>.
If you have specific questions that you cannot find the answer to, then
please send us an email.

Thank you in advance for considering to join Birder Broker and we look
forward to seeing you out in the field!

Sincerely,

Bridget Butler
Bird Diva Consulting