Date: 1/22/20 7:01 am
From: Philip Kline <pgeorgekline...>
Subject: [obol] Re: Columbia Estuary Gull Report - 1/21/2020
Hi David:

If you choose the "Explore Region" option in ebird, you can type in a
County or a State. That will bring up a page showing recent species seen
in that region. There are several tabs in two sets at the top you can then
choose, including a useful bar chart and also high counts for each
species. My favorite is the illustrated checklist. The high counts of
course only include those entered into the database, so may not be the
actual high count for the region.

Philip

On Tue, Jan 21, 2020, 8:28 PM David Bailey <davidcbaileyoregon...>
wrote:

> Philip,
>
> What reference/source do you find high counts for Oregon? CBC database? I
> presume others are interested in the answer as well so I've replied all. I
> recall Steve M. coming down the winter the first Oregon record for
> Slaty-backed Gull was found (first identified confidently by visiting
> birder Paul Layman on the Sauvie's Island CBC, though many of us had seen
> it earlier in the day at a too great a distance to make the call). There
> were certainly many Glacous Gulls around that winter.
>
> Thanks,
> David
>
> On Tue, Jan 21, 2020, 18:51 Philip Kline <pgeorgekline...> wrote:
>
>> Alan:
>>
>> I was out there yesterday morning along Wireless Road and counted at
>> least 5 and possibly 7. I've never seen more than two in one place. Out
>> of curiosity, I checked the Oregon high count and saw that 18 were reported
>> at the Sauvie Island pellet plant in the early 90s (by Steve Mlodinow I
>> think). His notes said that birders there during the course of the day
>> suspected up to 30 were present!
>>
>> Philip Kline

Join us on Facebook!