Date: 1/22/20 6:28 am
From: Teresa Hertzel <teresa.hertzel...>
Subject: [obol] Fwd: [eBird Alert] Oregon Rare Bird Alert
*** Species Summary:

Ross's Goose (1 Umatilla)
Tundra Swan (1 Union)
Tufted Duck (1 Benton)
Red-breasted Merganser (1 Klamath)
Mountain Plover (8 Clatsop)
Dunlin (1 Morrow)
Black-legged Kittiwake (3 Washington)
Red-throated Loon (1 Benton)
American White Pelican (1 Benton, 3 Jackson)
Lewis's Woodpecker (1 Lane)
Say's Phoebe (2 Coos)
Vermilion Flycatcher (5 Lane)
Blue Jay (1 Deschutes, 1 Wallowa)
Lapland Longspur (1 Wallowa)
Harris's Sparrow (1 Wallowa)
Hooded Oriole (4 Tillamook)
Tricolored Blackbird (3 Lane)
Black-and-white Warbler (1 Lincoln)
Orange-crowned Warbler (lutescens) (1 Deschutes)

Ross's Goose (Anser rossii) (1) CONFIRMED
- Reported Jan 19, 2020 11:45 by Mark Ludwick
- McNary Wildlife Nature Area, Umatilla, Oregon
- Map:
http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=45.9286872,-119.3130684&ll=45.9286872,-119.3130684
- Media: 1 Photo
- Comments: "Flyover. Photo taken of Snow Geese, shows two geese much
smaller than the others. They would be Ross's Geese. Photo. 2nd bird down
from top, and 3rd bird up from bottom."

Tundra Swan (Cygnus columbianus) (10)
- Reported Jan 21, 2020 13:50 by Kent Coe
- Ladd Marsh WMA, Union, Oregon
- Map:
http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=45.2585762,-118.0359077&ll=45.2585762,-118.0359077
- Comments: "There may have been more. Counted them from near the white
barn just south of the overlook. Large white birds with long necks."

Tufted Duck (Aythya fuligula) (1) CONFIRMED
- Reported Jan 21, 2020 16:00 by Pam Otley
- Philomath Sewage Ponds, Benton, Oregon
- Map:
http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=44.5201324,-123.3461237&ll=44.5201324,-123.3461237
- Media: 5 Photos
- Comments: "Found by Doug Robinson late this afternoon in the ne pond.
Adult male. Bird was in sleep mode when I saw it and stayed tucked in as
long as I was there. Bird was very white on the sides and very black
elsewhere, which made it stand out among the RNDU and LESC that were around
it. Some tufty bits show in my photos, but the duck refused to lift its
head while I was there."

Red-breasted Merganser (Mergus serrator) (1)
- Reported Jan 21, 2020 10:02 by Elijah Hayes
- Putnam's Point, Klamath, Oregon
- Map:
http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=42.2388442,-121.8075228&ll=42.2388442,-121.8075228
- Comments: "Continuing from yesterday’s sightings. Smaller than Common
Mergansers with slighter figure, cinnamon extended down neck. Swimming near
a few Commons."

Mountain Plover (Charadrius montanus) (1) CONFIRMED
- Reported Jan 20, 2020 10:58 by Caleb Centanni
- Gearhart Ocean State Park, Clatsop, Oregon
- Map:
http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=46.0174524,-123.9264379&ll=46.0174524,-123.9264379
- Comments: "Continuing bird on north side of island in the Estuary."

Mountain Plover (Charadrius montanus) (1) CONFIRMED
- Reported Jan 21, 2020 13:34 by David C. Bailey
- Necanicum Estuary Natural History Park, Clatsop, Oregon
- Map:
http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=46.0068525,-123.9182328&ll=46.0068525,-123.9182328
- Media: 2 Photos
- Comments: "Continuing. Hunkered down in the lee of the tallest part of
Oogie Island in the middle of Necanicum Estuary. The bird was NE of that
beach-grass-covered hummock in the middle of the flats with scattered
flotsam, drift logs, and beach grass clumps; and that differed from where
the three Snowy Plovers were hunkered down in the peripheral wrackline of
the same island. All scoped from the Overlook Park east and across Holladay
Dr. From Seaside High School.

Unlike the SNPLs, the MOPL was more warm orange brown above with creamy
underparts; the SNPLs showing light gray-tan upperparts and white
underparts and with dusky mark's on the head, face, and sides of breast.
The MOPL also showed more of a warm brown breast and browner lores than the
Snowys and with a pale supercillium connecting over the bill in a wider
stripe such that when the MOPL looks straight towards the observer it is as
if there have a lit white headlamp between the eyes, recalling the pale at
the bill base of juvenile Ruff and Buff-breasted Sandpiper. Bad digiscope
photo to follow, cropped and original. Bird is in the foreground of the
photo and center bottom of frame."

Mountain Plover (Charadrius montanus) (1) CONFIRMED
- Reported Jan 20, 2020 11:22 by Wink Gross
- Necanicum Estuary Natural History Park, Clatsop, Oregon
- Map:
http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=46.0068525,-123.9182328&ll=46.0068525,-123.9182328
- Comments: "Same spot as couple of hours ago"

Mountain Plover (Charadrius montanus) (1) CONFIRMED
- Reported Jan 20, 2020 11:22 by David Mandell
- Necanicum Estuary Natural History Park, Clatsop, Oregon
- Map:
http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=46.0068525,-123.9182328&ll=46.0068525,-123.9182328
- Comments: "Same spot as couple of hours ago"

Mountain Plover (Charadrius montanus) (1) CONFIRMED
- Reported Jan 20, 2020 08:31 by David Mandell
- Necanicum Estuary Natural History Park, Clatsop, Oregon
- Map:
http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=46.0068525,-123.9182328&ll=46.0068525,-123.9182328
- Media: 4 Photos
- Comments: "Continuing on island. Very poor quality photo due to
distance. Realize photo not diagnostic but shows bird at least consistent
with Mountain Plover."

Mountain Plover (Charadrius montanus) (1) CONFIRMED
- Reported Jan 20, 2020 08:31 by Wink Gross
- Necanicum Estuary Natural History Park, Clatsop, Oregon
- Map:
http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=46.0068525,-123.9182328&ll=46.0068525,-123.9182328
- Media: 4 Photos
- Comments: "Continuing on island. Very poor quality photo due to
distance. Realize photo not diagnostic but shows bird at least consistent
with Mountain Plover."

Mountain Plover (Charadrius montanus) (1)
- Reported Jan 20, 2020 11:40 by Philip Kline
- OR—Clatsop co.—Necanicum River Estuary (46.0142,-123.9249) MOPL Life Bird
for Courtney, county bird for Caleb and Philip (01/20/2020), Clatsop, Oregon
- Map:
http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=46.01421,-123.924851&ll=46.01421,-123.924851
- Media: 2 Photos
- Comments: "(Rare): cont. bird (first found ~ 3-days ago): distant
digiscope photo through Philip’s scope, thank you! — new life bird for
Courtney! — (Caleb and Philip both had seen the South Beach SP MOPL in
2016) — distant views today from this pinpoint, of MOPL to SE of us on
Oogie Island in middle of estuary: killdeer-size plover, pastel colored,
sandy upperside and white underside with pastel peachy washed upper breast
: standing, and then running around as if feeding among wrack in sands; —
so lucky we found Philip Kline this morning! I had texted our meetup
messages to him to a wrong number ... and Caleb and I drove 5-hr straight
from Bend to get here, on less than 4-hr sleep, and arrived to find that my
scope is broken and won’t focus distant, (and Caleb didn’t have his scope),
and the MOPL was no longer visible at the viewpoint where several saw it
early this morning, and no known birders around, all sad (very tired) news,
... so so relieved to find Philip with MOPL already in scope when we got to
Audrey’s pinpoint from yesterday. Thanks also to Audrey for refinding MOPL
yesterday, inspiring our crazy (over January pass, exhausted) chase, which
resulted in 3 lovely new birds for 3 of us : MOPL, HOOR, BAWW : 1 lifer, 3
state birds, 3 county birds , (and also special adventure, friendliness,
and then balmic rainy/oceanwavy camping, sleeping out in cool fresh air
with sound of ocean waves lapping and rain)"

Mountain Plover (Charadrius montanus) (1)
- Reported Jan 20, 2020 11:40 by Caleb Centanni
[...]

Dunlin (Calidris alpina) (1)
- Reported Jan 21, 2020 07:57 by Bill Bradford
- Boardman Marina and RV Park, Morrow, Oregon
- Map:
http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=45.8446728,-119.7066665&ll=45.8446728,-119.7066665
- Comments: "At western edge of park where the old road disappears into the
water. Photo will be added later."

Black-legged Kittiwake (Rissa tridactyla) (2)
- Reported Jan 19, 2020 10:15 by Ross Barnes-Rickett
- Henry Hagg Lake Loop Trail, Gaston, Oregon, US (45.477, -123.2),
Washington, Oregon
- Map:
http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=45.4766046,-123.2004616&ll=45.4766046,-123.2004616
- Comments: "Continuing birds closely associating near dam end"

Black-legged Kittiwake (Rissa tridactyla) (2)
- Reported Jan 21, 2020 07:55 by Ken Tweedt
- Henry Hagg Lake Park (Scoggins Valley Park), Washington, Oregon
- Map:
http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=45.473855,-123.2135582&ll=45.473855,-123.2135582
- Comments: "Birds seen separately , about 15 minutes apart, so could have
been just the same bird twice. Both were flying over the northwestern part
of the lake at quite a distance. Was able to discern black wingtips,
yellowish bill and just a hint of a gray-black band across back of head."

Black-legged Kittiwake (Rissa tridactyla) (2)
- Reported Jan 19, 2020 13:05 by Ross Barnes-Rickett
- Henry Hagg Lake Park--Elks Recreation Area, Washington, Oregon
- Map:
http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=45.4701945,-123.2057476&ll=45.4701945,-123.2057476
- Comments: "Possibly same 2 birds seen from other side earlier in the am."

Red-throated Loon (Gavia stellata) (1) CONFIRMED
- Reported Jan 21, 2020 08:38 by Thomas Czubek
- Willamette Park--South Side, Benton, Oregon
- Map:
http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=44.5373738,-123.2487487&ll=44.5373738,-123.2487487
- Comments: "Continuing. Photos later. North of the tall gravel island."

American White Pelican (Pelecanus erythrorhynchos) (2) CONFIRMED
- Reported Jan 21, 2020 11:39 by Gary Shaffer
- Agate Lake, Jackson, Oregon
- Map:
http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=42.4099597,-122.7708006&ll=42.4099597,-122.7708006
- Comments: "Continuing birds"

American White Pelican (Pelecanus erythrorhynchos) (2) CONFIRMED
- Reported Jan 21, 2020 11:39 by James Livaudais
- Agate Lake, Jackson, Oregon
- Map:
http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=42.4099597,-122.7708006&ll=42.4099597,-122.7708006
- Comments: "Continuing birds"

American White Pelican (Pelecanus erythrorhynchos) (2) CONFIRMED
- Reported Jan 21, 2020 14:53 by Jon Cox
- Denman WMA--Whetstone Pond, Jackson, Oregon
- Map:
http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=42.4181342,-122.8657722&ll=42.4181342,-122.8657722
- Comments: "In pond right by parking lot"

American White Pelican (Pelecanus erythrorhynchos) (5) CONFIRMED
- Reported Jan 21, 2020 09:15 by Bert Pooth
- William L. Finley NWR--McFadden Marsh, Benton, Oregon
- Map:
http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=44.3907013,-123.2976294&ll=44.3907013,-123.2976294
- Comments: "large white birds flying overhead. Large yellow bills, black
flight feathers"

Lewis's Woodpecker (Melanerpes lewis) (1)
- Reported Jan 21, 2020 09:44 by Sylvia Maulding
- Cox Butte Rd., Lane, Oregon
- Map:
http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=44.2369594,-123.2564735&ll=44.2369594,-123.2564735
- Comments: "continuing at this location. flying from tip of oaks."

Say's Phoebe (Sayornis saya) (1)
- Reported Jan 21, 2020 13:14 by Robyn Henise
- Picture Valley Road, Coos, Oregon
- Map:
http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=43.1234501,-124.175299&ll=43.1234501,-124.175299
- Media: 1 Photo
- Comments: "Continuing"

Say's Phoebe (Sayornis saya) (1)
- Reported Jan 21, 2020 13:14 by Don Henise
- Picture Valley Road, Coos, Oregon
- Map:
http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=43.1234501,-124.175299&ll=43.1234501,-124.175299
- Media: 1 Photo
- Comments: "Continuing"

Vermilion Flycatcher (Pyrocephalus rubinus) (1)
- Reported Jan 21, 2020 14:12 by Neil Bjorklund
- Alton Baker Park, Lane, Oregon
- Map:
http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=44.0515703,-123.0640411&ll=44.0515703,-123.0640411
- Media: 2 Photos
- Comments: "Continuing rare flycatcher—light breast with light streaking,
lower belly red-orange, gray-brown back, light wing bars. Found well west
of “usual” spot, in a small brush patch near the middle of the prairie, due
north of a little apple tree. Photos."

Vermilion Flycatcher (Pyrocephalus rubinus) (1)
- Reported Jan 21, 2020 11:30 by Thomas Czubek
- Alton Baker Park, Lane, Oregon
- Map:
http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=44.0515703,-123.0640411&ll=44.0515703,-123.0640411
- Comments: "Continuing female."

Vermilion Flycatcher (Pyrocephalus rubinus) (1)
- Reported Jan 21, 2020 08:53 by John Sullivan
- Alton Baker Park, Lane, Oregon
- Map:
http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=44.0515703,-123.0640411&ll=44.0515703,-123.0640411
- Media: 1 Photo
- Comments: "Continuing in trees at east end near I-5."

Vermilion Flycatcher (Pyrocephalus rubinus) (1)
- Reported Jan 21, 2020 07:45 by Rick Bennett
- Alton Baker Park, Lane, Oregon
- Map:
http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=44.0515703,-123.0640411&ll=44.0515703,-123.0640411
- Media: 2 Photos
- Comments: "Continuing -- around ponds on east end of park just east of
I-5 (44.047132,-123.051151)"

Vermilion Flycatcher (Pyrocephalus rubinus) (1)
- Reported Jan 21, 2020 07:45 by Stefan Schlick
- Alton Baker Park, Lane, Oregon
- Map:
http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=44.0515703,-123.0640411&ll=44.0515703,-123.0640411
- Media: 2 Photos
- Comments: "Continuing -- around ponds on east end of park just east of
I-5 (44.047132,-123.051151)"

Blue Jay (Cyanocitta cristata) (2)
- Reported Jan 21, 2020 08:34 by Margaret LaFaive
- Joseph (town), Wallowa, Oregon
- Map:
http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=45.3516627,-117.228241&ll=45.3516627,-117.228241
- Comments: "Continuing birds at intersection of e. Joseph and n.collge"

Blue Jay (Cyanocitta cristata) (1)
- Reported Jan 21, 2020 12:45 by James Arneson
- stakeout Blue Jay, Couch Market Rd. (2019-20), Deschutes, Oregon
- Map:
http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=44.1673914,-121.4044685&ll=44.1673914,-121.4044685
- Comments: "Photo"

Lapland Longspur (Calcarius lapponicus) (2)
- Reported Jan 21, 2020 10:59 by Mike Hansen
- Golf Course Rd., Wallowa, Oregon
- Map:
http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=45.4857709,-117.302742&ll=45.4857709,-117.302742
- Comments: "Brown, tan, and black patterned head. One white wing bar.
Photo."

Harris's Sparrow (Zonotrichia querula) (1)
- Reported Jan 20, 2020 10:06 by Janet Lamberson
- Evans, School Flat Ln, Wallowa, Oregon
- Map:
http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=45.5008441,-117.4214368&ll=45.5008441,-117.4214368
- Media: 1 Photo
- Comments: "At feeder, black bib and face, white belly with black streaks
at side of breast, large pink-orange bill"

Hooded Oriole (Icterus cucullatus) (1)
- Reported Jan 21, 2020 07:30 by Bill Shelmerdine
- 36155 Ninth St, Nehalem US-OR (45.7196,-123.8963), Tillamook, Oregon
- Map:
http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=45.719553,-123.896268&ll=45.719553,-123.896268
- Comments: "Continuing rarity. Adult male coming to house with feeders.
Showed up at 0810 and stopped in at feeder area for about 1 minute or
less. Good views of bird perched on deck rail."

Hooded Oriole (Icterus cucullatus) (1)
- Reported Jan 20, 2020 15:08 by Caleb Centanni
- Nehalem (town), Tillamook, Oregon
- Map:
http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=45.7167569,-123.8955723&ll=45.7167569,-123.8955723
- Media: 1 Photo
- Comments: "Will add details."

Hooded Oriole (Icterus cucullatus) (1)
- Reported Jan 20, 2020 15:08 by Philip Kline
- OR—Tillamook co.—Nehalem--Ninth St x B St empty lot (45.7200,-123.8959)
HOOR state bird for Caleb and Philip (01/20/2020), Tillamook, Oregon
- Map:
http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=45.719972,-123.895944&ll=45.719972,-123.895944
- Comments: "(Rare): “unreported”: cont. adult male bird, has been coming
to this house for months, (and seen by birders since reported ~ Jan. 9),
owner sets out oranges and grape jelly for it:

Art Happens
— and so does HOOR!

HOOR today finally seen at ~ 4:02p after a long wait, it popped up from
below and landed on deck rail by small white bowl , for a few minutes,
Philip got photos, and then it flew south into thick trees patch.
New Oregon state bird for both Caleb and Philip!

— “he looked oranger than I expected” — “really? I thought he looked
yellowish” — “overall yellowish, with contrasting black markings: black
throat and breast creates yellow hood appearance, and the bird also had
black wings and black tail, with 2 notable distinct white wing bars” — “I
only saw 1!” — “tail longer than most orioles’, bill also long and slightly
down-curved.”

— While we were waiting for it to show up, we had a talk with homeowner,
who had seen it that morning but not since, and she said it hangs out in
the trees of the empty lot SE of her, and recommended viewing from that
empty lot.
So we walked to that lot, and peeled oranges and stuck them onto twigs of
trees and also onto some thorns of blackberry vines, (and we ate some), and
waited there for the oriole to visit our orange slices. Shortly after
affixing the slices to foliage, the oriole did show! but, didn’t come to
the slices while we were there, so, didn’t get to see him eat oranges, so
we consider our orange slices as a Gift “for later” given to the sweet
oriole who let us see him, and also as a secondary gift to the next birders
who chase him.

— Thanks Philip for letting us join with you today, finding the Mountain
Plover for us, and then spotting the HOOR, and sweet to get some birding in
with you!
Thanks Pilot of the kittiwake voyager van !

PK: It was fun. Thanks for tagging along and being my Oriole good luck
charm.

(‘Twas determined Courtney gets credit for the HOOR, because of her oranges
— even though Philip spotted him, and oriole didn’t eat her oranges, (and
really it was Caleb who had purchased the oranges).)

— Note: there has been some secrecy as to the location of this oriole
house, but I don’t understand really why? One neighbor on street doesn’t
like birders around, or to turn around vehicles in his driveway, so it is
recommended to park elsewhere (nearer Hwy 101) and walk, but aside from
him, the Art Happens (frame shop) homeowner is nice, and other people on
the street waved and smiled, and there is a community recreation center
next door, and besides all this, the bird can be seen from this empty lot,
which bothers no one. So, I recommend viewing from this lot instead of
bothering any homeowners, and all surely is and will be well :-)"

[...]

Tricolored Blackbird (Agelaius tricolor) (1)
- Reported Jan 21, 2020 14:28 by Daniel Farrar
- Lehman Dairy (restricted access), Lane, Oregon
- Map:
http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=44.0200267,-123.2491062&ll=44.0200267,-123.2491062
- Comments: "Continuing. White wing bars, deeper red. Flew from dairy
across road."

Tricolored Blackbird (Agelaius tricolor) (2)
- Reported Jan 21, 2020 10:45 by Stefan Schlick
- Lehman Dairy (restricted access), Lane, Oregon
- Map:
http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=44.0200267,-123.2491062&ll=44.0200267,-123.2491062
- Comments: "Continuing -- at least 2 males seen on rooftop of dairy barn
amongst large flock of other blackbirds"

Tricolored Blackbird (Agelaius tricolor) (2)
- Reported Jan 21, 2020 10:45 by Rick Bennett
- Lehman Dairy (restricted access), Lane, Oregon
- Map:
http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=44.0200267,-123.2491062&ll=44.0200267,-123.2491062
- Comments: "Continuing -- at least 2 males seen on rooftop of dairy barn
amongst large flock of other blackbirds"

Black-and-white Warbler (Mniotilta varia) (1)
- Reported Jan 21, 2020 10:39 by Caleb Centanni
- OR—Lincoln co.—Beaver Creek Rd (44.5216,-124.0684) BAWW state bird for
Caleb (01/21/2020), Lincoln, Oregon
- Map:
http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=44.521551,-124.068409&ll=44.521551,-124.068409
- Comments: "(Rare): “infrequent” : cont. rarity, 3rd winter here.
— finally, after 2.5-hr of intense searching, Courtney spotted it in “that
conifer!” Douglas fir, with CBCH, black&white streaked bird working side
branches (not trunk) of large conifer. I was standing N. side of the pond
and looking back across at the BAWW in Dougfir on S. side of pond, fir and
alders edging pond, bird in conifer at exact pin point of this log. Sad,
only brief poor distant view for Courtney, I’ve only ever had very brief
poor views of this species! dang!
— but thank goodness, just in time, we did find it for Caleb! just before
mad rush (not really, we drive safe!) back to Corvallis for noon Wind
Ensemble class. (Saw BAWW at 10:39a, to leave Ona Beach at 10:50 to make it
back in time!) New Oregon state bird for Caleb! Finally, jinx-bird streak
ends. (He looked for this one last year; “was going to look for one in
Clatsop co. but the park was closed that day; we looked for that one on
Sauvie Island and that was the first day that it wasn’t seen; I’ve also
looked for one at least 2-3 times at Malheur.”) — “I’m happy and sad to
inform you that I had great views!” — Caleb came rushing to Dougfir and got
to see it well, while CKJ walked back around the pond to meet up with, at
which time bird disappeared. Caleb’s report of his experience: “Moving from
interior licheny branches of Douglas fir (where seen poorly), to more open
licheny branches of alders and deciduous shrubs to SW along the edge of
Beaver Creek Rd, crawling its way along branches and pecking at lichens
with long slightly curved bill. Bird all black and white in plumage, mostly
plain white face with large eye in center, supercilium somewhat distinct,
also white; almost entire upperside of bird black except for very
contrasting white streaking and white wingbars. Underside mostly white with
crisp black flank streaks. Utc with black spots. Overall bird had long
slender warbler shape, fairly long tail, and notably down-curved bill.
— We both lost a hair band, in this brambly tangly chase experience ! “It
was foraging hairbands off of our braids when we weren’t looking!”
— “Not to hint too much, but do you have any words of appreciation for the
wonderful person who found it for you today?” — “Yes that was thoughtless
of me not to include that in the comment, thanks Courtney.” — “Ok I’m
ready.” — “And this comment would not be complete without a sincere and
resounding thank you to the beautiful woman, fine partner, and golden
birding god, who spotted this bird for me.” — “God? Not goddess?” — “Golden
birding goddess, sure!”
— “What I want to know is, where that d**** bird was all morning! Seems
like we were looking at that flock all day!” — “I think it’s a tough bird
to find.” — “Kind of seems like it. Except people haven’t been having
trouble with it the past few days, except for us, but people won’t know we
had trouble with it!” — phew! so so glad we got it for you, babe! Yay! —
“Thanks, golden birding goddess!” “Now I just need to find a Least FL and
no one can make fun of me anymore.” — “Because that’s what all the birders
in Oregon are doing.” — “Yep.”

[comment cont. under “passerine sp.”]"

Orange-crowned Warbler (lutescens) (Leiothlypis celata lutescens) (1)
- Reported Jan 18, 2020 15:12 by Caleb Centanni
- Pilot Butte SP, Deschutes, Oregon
- Map:
http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=44.0600826,-121.283226&ll=44.0600826,-121.283226
- Comments: "(Rare): “unreported”: cont. bird first found by Courtney
01/09/2020 and then photoed by Courtney on 01/15/2020 [see photo at:
https://ebird.org/checklist/S63434407
]

: today seen by Caleb and Courtney at 3:31p (on walk down, wasn’t seen on
walk up), feeding in brushes of same area of past 2 sightings (today at
44.0575,-121.2835) , then flushed up slope of blackish lava rocks, and then
up into the junipers after the other mixed flock (HOFI, WEBL) moved up
towards summit.
— is so bright yellow, must be subspecies lutescens I think. (I uploaded
photo into iNaturalist and it was confirmed as ssp. lutescens),
Happy & good luck we saw it again today, for Caleb to see too, was hoping
to share it with him! (and the GOEA lovers!)
(& hopefully, Caleb seeing it too, can help ebird reviewer decide to
finally validate this cool sighting? since apparently Courtney’s photos
weren’t evidence enough to confirm it ...)

Comments from Caleb on this bird: “small yellowgreen warbler, darker on top
than bottom, sharp bill, typical of genus; may be slightly thinner than
normal, perhaps low on food.” We both agree prominent (bright yellow) arced
eyering more conspicuous than pale supercilium. (Utc also bright yellow, as
bright as YEWA yellow). — “OCWA do like this low brushy stuff more than
most other warblers, low dry brushy stuff”

Chuck Gates: That’s a nice find. Definitely a first Jan record [for Central
Oregon]. There are 4 Dec records. It’s been seen 2 times on the Bend CBC.
One time near Culver in Dec 1993 and once near Prineville in Dec 1973.
There are no Feb records."