Date: 1/21/20 7:33 am
From: John Ranta <john.f.ranta...>
Subject: [NHBirds] Weekend observations
Over the weekend I visited the MacDowell reservoir in Peterborough, and a
couple of spots along the Contoocook River in Peterborough and Hancock.
Nothing exotic.

It was quiet at MacDowell, not much activity at all. As I was walking back
to my truck I came across a mixed flock of chickadees, nuthatches (WB),
juncoes, titmice, a downy woodpecker and a pair of golden-crowned kinglets.
They were active and noisy, working a mixed stand of oak and hemlock. All
of a sudden a sharp shinned hawk zoomed in from behind me, and went after
one of the kinglets in a hemlock. The chase was fast, and very acrobatic.
The hawk missed, and landed in a tree about 20 feet away, sitting for a
minute before flying off. The flock was absolutely still for several
minutes - no movement, no vocals. Then the chickadees (the bravest,
apparently) began to move and make a little noise.

The Peterborough dump was busy yesterday (they maintain a set of feeders).
Cardinals, chickadees, juncoes, nuthatches (WB & RB), starlings, bluejays,
ravens, crows, robins, titmice, a hairy woodpecker and a lone song sparrow.
And as I was driving up 202, I spotted an adult bald eagle circling over
Cavender road.

There's a lot less winterberry than there was a month ago, getting eaten
I'm guessing. I did see a few cedar waxwings and bluebirds on crab apple
trees in Peterborough, and a couple of different red-tailed hawks in
Peterborough and Hancock. The snow storm brought the goldfinches back to my
feeders (they're foul weather opportunists) to join the juncoes,
chickadees, titmice, downy woodpeckers and bluejays.

JR