Date: 1/14/20 11:48 pm
From: Alvaro Jaramillo <chucao...>
Subject: Re: [pen-bird] Slaty-backed — Birding ethics suggestion
Noah

No one is systematically driving away gulls from our beach. You have made these arguments in various other places, and I have found it is difficult to reason with you on this issue. I am a dog owner and birder, I also live in this community and know a bit about the issues going on here. Anti-gull sentiment is not high up there on the list by Half Moon Bay residents. I actually seldom see off leash dogs in that part of the beach. However people scaring the gulls, running through them for photos is the more common issue. I have talked to many people about this on the beach, and explained about the gulls, basically all of them have been understanding. They are largely uninformed. They are often really thrilled to find out more about the gulls, their migration and so forth. Key is conversation and teaching folks.

In any case, apart from being off on your argument here. You are saying something very troubling. You are accusing the folks at State Parks of “systematically driving away gulls” from the beach. This is totally false. When have you seen park staff “systematically driving away gulls?” I don’t know where you get these ideas, but I find it troubling that you are accusing hard working people of doing something that is just not true. Can you stop making these false allegations? Next time you get the inkling of publishing something like this, stop and re-consider?

Thanks,

Alvaro

Alvaro Jaramillo

<mailto:<alvaro...> <alvaro...>