Date: 1/14/20 5:56 pm
From: Dave Bengston via Groups.Io <davebengston=<icloud.com...>
Subject: [Mendobirds] 14 Jan 2020 Crane near Nice-Lucerne Cutoff in Lake County
I was birding Reclamation Road this afternoon. I kept seeing huge flocks of gulls south of me. When I got to the south end of the road, next to the old rice harvester, I looked to the south to see the gulls. East of them I spotted a crane going in wide circles and finally landing. I can only assume that it was a Sandhill Crane. It went down south of the first tall trees, but I could not say whether it was north or south of the road due to the distance involved. The time was close to 2:45 pm. I immediately drove to the Nice-Lucerne Cutoff Rd. and headed west. I checked both sides of the road as much as I could. When I got to Rodman Slough, there were huge flocks of gulls and other waterfowl feeding on baitfish in the slough. Assuming the gulls were the same group I had seen from Reclamation Road, I would say that the crane went down somewhere near Robinson Lake toward the east end.

I wish that I could be more specific for folks, but that is impossible due to the distance involved, and getting turned around. I am 100% sure it was a crane.

Dave Bengston
Ukiah
513.8249