Date: 1/14/20 4:16 pm
From: Ken Copenhaver <copenhvr...>
Subject: Re: [VTBIRD] Using eBird
I also wish there was a way to designate "trip" lists or "week" lists. I
have old (pre-eBird) records that I would like to enter into eBird someday,
but many of them are from camping trips, etc, where I kept a running list
of all the species I saw that week. After a discussion some years ago with
an eBird reviewer, the conclusion, if I'm remembering correctly, is that
there really is no place in eBird for multi-day lists as they would skew
frequency and abundance statistics by showing an exaggerated number of
species seen on one day. If you enter such lists, they should be
designated as "historical" lists (where hours and distance aren't known)
and they should be "hidden" ("Hide from eBird output" under "Checklist
Tools"). You can see your own hidden lists, but they can't be seen by the
public. My understanding is that researchers can still use them, but they
would do so with caution. For this reason, it is desirable to note clearly
that it is a multi-day list and note the date range. Someone please
correct me if I'm remembering any of this incorrectly!

--Ken Copenhaver

Join us on Facebook!