Date: 1/14/20 1:41 pm
From: Aaron Maizlish <aaron.maizlish...>
Subject: Re: [pen-bird] Photos of Slaty-backed Gull
Fantastic photos Alvaro! Thanks for the ID lesson, as always.

Roy Carlson and I were able to enjoy prolonged views of the gull from up on the trail looking across the creek mouth. No need to head down to the beach. There are about 600-800 birds in the flock, and the Slaty-backed is toward the south end, perhaps 50 birds from the end of the flock. He spent much of the time with his head tucked in and was a bit less excitable than the other, mostly hybrid, gulls. Did not fly in the 40 minutes I observed him, and only stretched his wings twice.

A long overdue lifebird for me. It’s great to see a full adult.

Aaron Maizlish