Date: 1/14/20 12:40 pm
Subject: Kerr Lake CBC results
The 17TH Kerr Lake CBC was held on Jan 2, 2019 under clear then cloudy
skies, increasing winds and temperatures 36-50. 17 counters in ten parties
were able to tally 89 species (average 94 and tied for our second lowest)
and 6,924 total birds, our lowest ever (12,060 average) led by 1,170
Ring-billed Gull, 792 Black Vultures (there were few ducks at dusk so I
tallied vultures) 345 Bonaparte’s Gulls and 327 Canada Goose. As with
other counts this season, few irruptive species and the warming trends
meant less duck diversity. Hoped for lingering warblers did not
materialize.

Highlights include our first record Western Grebe at Eagle Point. A
Red-necked Grebe was above the dam making our first ever four Grebe count! We
also had three loon species with the Pacific seen at Satterwhite and
Red-throated Loon at Palmer Point. Grebe grand slam and loon hat trick,
wow, what a lake. One year a Yellow-billed Loon will be seen....

Misses include American Wigeon, Red-breasted Merganser, Sharp-shinned Hawk,
American Coot, Lesser or Greater Black-backed Gull, Loggerhead Shrike,
House Wren, Gray Catbird, American Pipit, Palm Warbler and White-crowned
Sparrow.

We set some record highs with 792 Black Vulture, 13 Red-shouldered Hawk and
168 Pine Warbler, they were everywhere.

Record lows were many: 1 Wood Duck, 1 Ruddy Duck, 5 Red-tailed Hawk, 1,170
Ring-billed Gull, 3 Brown Creeper, 296 Dark-eyed Junco, 87 White-throated
Sparrow (!) 1 Savannah Sparrow and 3 Eastern Meadowlark.

Thanks to all counters!!!

Mark your calendars for upcoming Kerr Lake counts

Spring count – April 28, 2020

Fall count – September 10, 2020

Christmas Count – January 5, 2021

--