Date: 1/14/20 8:55 am
From: Miriam Lawrence <mirslamlawrence...>
Subject: Re: [VTBIRD] Giant Thanks to Maeve Kim for Information on Niger Seed
A few years ago, I bought some Lyric seed at Guy's (not niger specifically
- I generally love Lyric's blends, they are higher quality than almost any
other brand and most don't contain millet, which I studiously avoid to keep
the House Sparrows away) that turned out to be moldy and have little tiny
moths flying around in it.

When I looked at the expiration date on it (which you'll find embossed on
the bottom seam of every bag, I discovered it was more than a year
expired. I took it back. They blamed their distributor. But I did get an
exchange.

After that, I always made sure to check the dates on bags of seed before
purchasing. I hate to say the issue never not get fully resolved - I
continued to find expired seed on their shelves. It's now been a couple of
years since I've bought birdseed there, and it's certainly possible they've
addressed the problem since then, but caveat emptor.

All of this is to say that you should check the date on your niger bag.
It's possible the seed was old and went bad. The birds absolutely know the
difference.

Miriam Lawrence
Monkton

--