Date: 1/14/20 6:58 am
From: Maeve Kim <maevulus...>
Subject: Re: [VTBIRD] Giant Thanks to Maeve Kim for Information on Niger Seed
It could be, Liz. That’s big and frequent problem with niger. I didn’t have any problems with the special stuff from Lyric (the kind that’s shrink-sealed and has some sort of “oxygen excluder packet") but it’s very pricy. Two years ago gave up on niger entirely andI started feeding chipped sunflower instead, and finches love it. Right now we have over 50 goldfinches chowing down on the stuff as fast as we can refill the feeders. If you can get the medium to fine chipped, it fits in thistle feeders.

Maeve Kim, Jericho Center

> On Jan 14, 2020, at 9:13 AM, lizl <lizl...> wrote:
>
> I hate to be the outlier here, but my feeder is full of Lyric niger that I bought at Guy's in November, and the birds aren't touching it. Maybe just a bad batch?Liz LeeHinesburgSent from my Galaxy Tab® A
> -------- Original message --------From: Jeannie Elias <moosewoman...> Date: 1/13/20 11:32 AM (GMT-05:00) To: <VTBIRD...> Subject: [VTBIRD] Giant Thanks to Maeve Kim for Information on Niger Seed I want to send a public giant thank you to Maeve Kim for posting some extremely useful information on feeding Niger or Thistle seed. If you missed it, Maeve explained that Niger is heat treated to prevent the seed from growing thistle in yards and gardens, but if treated with too much heat, the seed becomes unappealing to the birds. Maeve suggested that one company, Lyric, sold seed that remained palatable to the birds. (I believe the implication was the overheating also deprived the seed of nutritional value, and that the birds knew that...) I had full Niger seed feeders that flocks of American Goldfinches had been ignoring all season. I switched brands and got some Lyric brand Niger seed and now my Goldfinches are happily chowing down. Thank you Maeve. Jeannie Elias Mad Birders Fayston, VT

Join us on Facebook!