Date: 1/14/20 4:28 am
From: James Wilson <birdmanjfw...>
Subject: [MDBirding] Question about a Woodpecker
Several years ago while doing internet research about woodpeckers, I
remember reading about a woodpecker that makes a nesting cavity in a live,
healthy tree. It took 2 to 3 years for it to excavate the hole.

At least that is what I *think* I remember. I definitely cannot remember
the species of woodpecker.

Recently I have spent way too much time googling the internet in a
fruitless search. I went to the local library and the research librarian
and she came up empty. I think I should have started my search here first
... at least I hope someone can help.

QUESTION: Is there a woodpecker that takes 2 to 3 years to excavate a
nesting cavity in a live and totally healthy tree? Or is my memory faulty,
deranged, wrong, bad, inaccurate, foggy etc etc.

Many thanks for any help.
Jim Wilson
Queenstown
Note: it is not the Red-cockaded Woodpecker which digs into a healthy pine
but the heartwood has been softened by red heart fungus.