Date: 1/13/20 2:20 pm
From: David J. Hoag <00000139fcf15d8e-dmarc-request...>
Subject: Re: [VTBIRD] Brown Creeper
After years of checking Shagbark Hickories for creeper nests, I found two:
1. a perfect hammock nest under the loose bark of a dying Red Maple.
2. an old nest stuck to the fallen bark of a dead Red Maple four miles away.
Dave Hoag
Grand Isle

Sent: Sat, Jan 11, 2020 8:29 pm
Subject: [VTBIRD] Brown Creeper

Years ago when I lived in one of the western MA hilltowns I often had Brown Creepers in/on the two Sugar Maples just outside my barn. I would hear and then see them as I went about my morning chores. It isn’t as likely for me to hear and see them where I now live as the wood edges are quite a distance from the yard. I recently read that they are particularly fond of trees that have loose bark. I immediately thought about the Shagbark Hickory and wonder if anyone has noted them on a particular variety of tree?

Mundi
North Pownal

Join us on Facebook!