Date: 1/13/20 9:35 am
From: Rich Kelley <rich...>
Subject: Re: [VTBIRD] Using eBird
Hi Michael & others,

I am by no means an expert and maybe Kent or Nathaniel will weigh in at some point, but here's my understanding:

The Trip feature is specific for the app, and is really only for your personal info, there's nothing sent to eBird with it. It's just a way to compile checklists for a certain time period. I've used it in the past for Christmas Bird counts, where I might have 10-12 checklists for the day, but can look at the Trips list to get total numbers. As far as I know, the eBird app only syncs one-way for the most part. So lists created with the app show up on the desktop site, but not the other way around. And if you use two mobile devices, lists created on one won't show up on the other, but both with go to the desktop version.

I 'think' that locations are the exception to info that syncs to the app... once you create a person location, it's available to you on the main site and on the mobile app.

For your question on locations, I don't think the names you choose really matter to eBird. If you're creating a personal location, you can call it whatever you want that makes sense to you. Anyone using the data for scientific purposes will get the lat/long of whatever your location is.