Date: 1/11/20 7:48 pm
From: Barbara Volkle <barb620...>
Subject: [MASSBIRD] Cape Ann Birding 1/11/20
Thanks to Strickland Wheelockfor this post.

Barbara Volkle
Northborough, MA
<barb620...>

*

Date: Sun, 12 Jan 2020 01:16:43 +0000 (UTC)
From: Strickland Wheelock <skwheelock...>
Subject: Cape Ann Birding 1/11/20

Drumlin Farm had a day birding trip to Cape Ann on Sat 1/11/20 under
unique conditions [heat] and amazing results.
The focus of the trip was pelagic birding and little effort on
passerines outside of what species presented themselves - in the end we
had 57 species at the few locations we visited - Halibut Point, Andrews
Point, Granite Pier, Elks Club, Gloucester Harbor, Niles Pond and Braces
Cove.
Starting point was Halibut Point early with the incoming tide and with
the hope of catching the alcids, ducks, loons, grebes, etc on the move
with the sun at our back - not sure how to accurately describe all the
non-stop action we experienced there with flybys and many species on the
water - 1 Thick-billed Murre, 10 Dovekies, 10+ Razorbills, 10 Blk
Guillemots, male & female King Eider, Gannets, Kittiwakes, Glaucous
Gull, Purple Sandpiper, Red-necked Grebes, Red-thr & Common Loons, many
Harlequin Ducks, Long-tailed Ducks, and other duck species.
As we moved on to Andrews Point, just a continuation of all the movement
of alcids [ Razorbills, Guillemots], ducks as they swept by the Point -
next we stopped at Granite Pier where an adult Lesser Blk-b Gull was
roosting on the rocks along with all the common gulls - off shore there
was a nice mixture of species to add to the totals.
After lunch, we stopped at the Elks Club to scan and enjoyed Horned &
Red-n Grebes, more Black Guillemots, Common Goldeneye, Harlequins,
scoters, Buffleheads, Red-thr Loons, etc - much to enjoy
Further along we scanned Gloucester Harbor on our way to Niles Pond and
had our 1st Surf Scoters, Long-tailed Ducks, Gadwalls, C Goldeneyes,
Bufflehead, etc
Niles Pond is always rewarding with both Lesser & Greater Scaup,
Ring-necked Duck, many Red-breasted Mergansers, Bufflehead and 2
immature Iceland Gulls - missed the Night-Heron unfortunately but close
by in Braces Cove we enjoyed 2 Am. Wigeon
Exceptional day with the mild weather but the sheer numbers of groups
[all sizes] of alcids, ducks & pelagic species moving everywhere - once
back at DF, a Cooper's Hawk shot over our heads for a nice ending.
Next upcoming local trip from Drumlin Farm is Feb 8th which is called
Mission Possible where we chase the rarest specie within a 2 hour radius
of DF, then from there seek other nearby rarities to fill out the day -
that rarity might only appear a day or two before the trip - in the past
we enjoyed Ivory Gull, Hawk Owl, etc - always a surprise

Strickland Wheelock
Leslie Bostrom

Join us on Facebook!