Date: 1/11/20 2:46 pm
From: Rankin, Gary <rankin...>
Subject: Long-eared owl and a few ducks
Yesterday, my wife and I drove up to Stonewall Resort for a couple of days. On the way, we stopped at Sutton Lake and the Burnsville Dam area. No ducks at either location, although there were a few Common Mergansers on the Elk River below the Sutton Lake Dam. When we got to our cabin, we sat on the deck as the moon was coming and were surprised to hear a Long-eared Owl call. Nice one!

Today I checked Cheat Lake at the Marina end and Cheat Lake Park. Lots of Bufflehead at the marina (30+) and a few Mallards and Canada Geese. At the Park, there were Hooded Mergansers(16), Common Mergansers (3) and more Mallards and Canada Geese.

Tried to find the Rough-legged Hawk reported earlier at Canaan Valley, but I think the heat sent it back North. I did find several Black-capped Chickadees, one Red-breasted Nuthatch and several House Finch and Am. Goldfinch. No Siskins or Purple Finch.

Gary Rankin
Lavalette, WV
Wayne Co.

Sent from my iPhone