Date: 1/11/20 9:03 am
From: Gregg Goodrich <gregggoodrich...>
Subject: [cobirds] Loon’s with fishing gear in bills
We currently have 2 loons with fishing line, lures or hooks in their bills
here in the Denver area. Chatfield has a Pacific Loon with fishing gear in
it’s bill. Several birders have notified the park office and they said that
they couldn’t get a boat out to do a rescue because of the ice at the boat
ramps. Even if they could, catching it would be a challenge.

Aurora Reservoir has a Common Loon with fishing gear in it’s bill as well.
I notified the park ranger supervisor this morning. He said as long as it
was diving and healthy it would be hard to catch. He said if it’s health
starts to fail, then they might be able to catch it.

So, keep an eye on these birds and if they start to look unhealthy we can
notify the rangers.

Gregg Goodrich
Highlands Ranch