Date: 1/10/20 3:51 pm
From: 'James Tyler Bell' via Maryland & DC Birding <mdbirding...>
Subject: Re: [MDBirding] Re: MD-DC Breeding Bird Atlas Portal
Just a reminder that safe dates are really just to sort out which birds are residents and which might be migrants. If you find a pair of Bald Eagles building a nest over this upcoming weekend, or last weekend, safe dates don't apply.

Tyler Bell
<jtylerbell...>
California, Maryland

On Friday, January 10, 2020, 6:01:14 PM EST, James Speicher <jugornought...> wrote:

Hi
I'm curious about the safe dates for Bald Eagle:
START 4 / 15; END 8 / 5
the start date seems awfully late...
Jim S

On Wednesday, January 8, 2020 at 2:04:26 PM UTC-5, Gabriel Foley wrote:
Hi everyone,
I have had a number of people ask me when to use the Atlas eBird portal (ebird.org/atlasmddc) as opposed to general eBird (ebird.org) and how 'safe dates' fit into this Atlas, so I thought I would send out a message here.
If you haven't read the Atlas Handbook yet, I would encourage you to do so. There is a lot of useful information in there.
You should submit checklists to the Atlas when you have a breeding code in a checklist, or when you are submitting a nocturnal checklist. You can find instructions for using the portal (on the website and on the app) at https://ebird.org/ atlasmddc/about/data- submission.
Safe dates are a date rangefor each species that indicate when migrants are likely to be absent from Maryland and DC. Within these date ranges, you can use 'Possible status' codes, including Habitat (code H) and Singing (code S). The further outside of a species' safe dates you are, the more cautious you should be using codes that are relatively weak evidence of breeding. For example, Hooded Mergansers are displaying to each other right now. This could be classified as a Display (code C), but many of these individuals will migrate further north to breed. Using that code in January, well before they intend to nest, would create a misleading map of their breeding in Maryland and DC. You can find safe dates at https://ebird.org/ atlasmddc/about/safe-dates.
Hope this helps clear things up!
Best,Gabriel FoleyNorth Bethesda, <MDmddc......>
--
*Note new official work email and phone number. Please update your contact information.
Gabriel J. Foley, M.Sc.Atlas Coordinator