Date: 1/10/20 12:06 pm
From: Rob Blye <rwblye...>
Subject: [de-birds] Two January days in contrast
Thursday January 9th was the first field trip of the year for Sussex Bird
Club. Twenty hardy souls met at Indian River Inlet about 8:30 AM where we
found temperatures in the high 20s with bright sun and a steady 15-20 mph
wind from the north. The even hardier birds were mostly hunkered down in
the wind except for a good size flock of Bonaparte's gull. We observed the
usual suspects but dipped on common loon and great cormorant. A peregrine
put on a brief show chasing a flock of some 200 dunlin around. A single
razorbill was seen by one experienced birder who arrived early.

The group then moved to observe the bay from the campground where we picked
up a few waterfowl then off to Burton Island. It was mostly out of the
wind, with red-breasted merganser and pied-bill grebe on the water and
towhee, mockingbird and a ruby-crowned kinglet on the trail in addition to
the ubiquitous myrtle warblers.

Silver Lake yielded the hoped for canvasbacks and a few other ducks while
the STP at Wolfe Neck coughed up two black-headed gull. We ended the day
with 51 species and avoided frost bite.

Contrast Thursday's weather with today; my wife and I hiked the Walking
Dunes Trail at Cape Henlopen State Park in bright sun, low wind and
temperatures in the high 50s and low 60s. Surprisingly few birds were
observed but we did manage a few brown-headed nuthatches and a hermit
thrush.

Sussex Bird Club will continue to offer biweekly field trips mostly on
Thursday mornings and mostly in Sussex County. Check our website for
schedule and updates. Field trips are free and open to the public.

*Rob*

Robert W. Blye
34603 Doe Run
Lewes DE 19958-3332