Date: 1/9/20 3:35 pm
From: mike sylvia <mikesylvia87...>
Subject: [MASSBIRD] Cuttyhunk Island - Unofficial CBC - Sedge Wren

My son Corvus Sylvia and I completed an unofficial CBC of the island today. Owling component yielded no owls. Weather quite variable from sunny to snow flurries.
Winds 12-30 kts.
Temps 20-40 F
54 species
Distance 11.3 miles. Measured on App. 10 hours

We covered almost all areas of the island over the period. All effort were made to avoid overlap and we feel confident that we were successful. Much of the berry crop is almost gone from the island. Eaten mainly by the large flock of Starlings that is still present. Good sea ducks around the island.

Rarest bird Sedge Wren. Late or species high counts for Chipping Sparrow, Brown Thrasher, Virginia Rail, Merlin, Gray Catbird, Song Sparrow, Black Scoter and Common Goldeneye.

Funniest find only 1 Dark-eyed Junco all by itself at the West end in an area I tend to find single odd species.

Brant 6
Canada Goose 42
Gadwall 3
Mallard 4
Common Eider 418 High count, Observed all around the island with main concentrations on East and West end rips
Harlequin Duck 4
Surf Scoter 26
White-winged Scoter 48
Black Scoter 640 High Count. Large congregations of East and West ends of island in rips.
Long-tailed Duck 7
Bufflehead 136 High accurate count. Birds in all areas.
Common Goldeneye 78 Island high count. Small rafts all around island
Red-breasted Merganser 13 low numbers
Horned Grebe 4
Red-necked Grebe 2
Virginia Rail 13 High count. 10 birds heard and 3 seen. Most responded to playback and 3 were flushed. interesting to repeat earlier findings of pairs responding to playback in same areas. Possible breeding pairs holding on to their territory?? Marshy to upland grassy habitats. Over wintering birds.
Purple Sandpiper 2
Razorbill 1
Ring-billed Gull 2
Herring Gull 29
Great Black-backed Gull 13
Common Loon 7
Great Cormorant 9
Northern Harrier 1
Sharp-shinned Hawk 2
Cooper's Hawk 1
Northern Flicker 3
Merlin 3 Three individuals seen and one photographed. All seen on extreme East end of island coming from Nashawena Island and heading West while we were surveying East end. No overlap possible.
American Crow 13
Black-capped Chickadee 16
Tufted Titmouse 5
Golden-crowned Kinglet 2 surprise find. Last seen on island November 15th.
Winter Wren 1
Sedge Wren 1 Very Rare late date. Possible latest winter record for Massachusetts. Last record found is Jan 3. Positive ID seen by both observers three times at close ranges (5-10 feet). Unfortunately no photos. The bird only did short flights and quickly perched then dove into grass. Found in area within 300 yds of the my last sighing this Fall. Habitat same tall grass border to marshy area. Small pale bird with weak flight. Soft mottling over body. Longish tail. Exactly as seen on other bird seen and photographed on 11/2/2019. Bird was first flushed within 5 feet of me and I had eyeball view in fight with bright sun over my shoulder that confirmed ID. We were able to flush it two more times at close range so other observer could see it and confirm. No doubt.
Carolina Wren 5
European Starling 84
Gray Catbird 8 All birds positively Identified. One spot 3 and others either 2 or singles widespread over island.
Brown Thrasher 2 Positive ID of both birds. Two separate locations with visual in good light.
Northern Mockingbird 6
Hermit Thrush 1
American Robin 24
House Sparrow 4
House Finch 21
Purple Finch 1 only second individual seen on island this Fall/Winter
Chipping Sparrow 5 All birds seen and photographed. Positive ID
Field Sparrow 4
Fox Sparrow (Red) 1
Dark-eyed Junco 1 only junco on the island. Thought we were not going to get one. Last species added.
White-throated Sparrow 33
Song Sparrow 59 High Count. Numbers recorded as seen. No overlap. Positive count.
Swamp Sparrow 2
Eastern Towhee 5
Yellow-rumped Warbler 86
Northern Cardinal 18