Date: 1/9/20 11:46 am
From: Eve Meier <eve.m.meier...>
Subject: [southbaybirds] Cackling Goose and White-throated Sparrow
Hi Everyone,

This morning (8 am) on my way to meet a friend for coffee, I remembered
that Ann Verdi had reported Cackling Goose at DeAnza Park (just off of
Meridian and Blossom Hill). This park was along the way so I decided to
take a look. Sure enough one CACKLING GOOSE was mixed in the Canada Geese
grazing on the lawn. (This park is small and if the geese are there, they
will be easy to spot.) The CACKLING GOOSE was much smaller and slightly
darker in color so it was easy to pick out from the rest. ebird:
https://ebird.org/checklist/S63202266.

After my coffee, I stopped by Santa Clara Valley Water District
Headquarters off of Almaden Expressway. The most notable birds were a
PEREGRINE FALCON in the large snag in the middle of the dry pond and one
WHITE-THROATED SPARROW. The sparrow was just to the right of the main
building feeding with the WHITE-CROWNED and GOLDEN-CROWNED SPARROWS under
the dwarf strawberry trees. The sparrow flock was quite large - maybe
somewhere between 30-40 birds. ebird list:
https://ebird.org/checklist/S63207682

Happy birding!
Eve Meier (San Jose)

View/Reply Online (#20968): https://groups.io/g/southbaybirds/message/20968