Date: 1/7/20 4:28 pm
From: Jack Chiles <dmarc-noreply-outsider...> (Redacted sender chilesjack for DMARC)
Subject: [texbirds] Tuesday morning bird census, Hagerman NWR, 01-07-20
Today was a cool calm day and unusual for early January. We started the day looking for some of the exotic gull species that have been seen on the refuge in the last week but were not successful in finding them, only many Ring-billed Gulls, and a few Herring Gulls and Bonaparte's Gulls. We took a walk at the end of the road past Meadow Pond approaching Big Mineral Creek and were rewarded with a couple of Pine Siskins. The ducks were numerous and we finally found 4 Canvasbacks way out in the lake off of Sandy Point. While there we spotted one of the Bald Eagles sitting in a tree on the shoreline across the lake north of Sandy. We also found 2 Horned Grebes there. There are still a lot of white geese on the refuge. They are coming and going all the time, probably going out to neighboring fields where there is more to eat. There were 14 Buffleheads and a couple of Hooded Mergansers in Mineral Marsh. We saw a nice male Common Yellowthroat in Taylor Marsh. We finished the day with 80
species.
https://ebird.org/checklist/S63140023
Jack Chiles, Texas master naturalist and volunteer at Hagerman NWR.
http://www.freelists.org/list/texbirds

from the List Owner

Join us on Facebook!