Date: 1/7/20 4:08 pm
From: Herb and Sarah Myers <hesemyers...>
Subject: Birds and Snow
This morning, we drove around Canaan Valley looking for the Rough-legged
Hawk that Randy Bodkins saw yesterday. We did not blame it for hunkering
down somewhere with the snow coming down. When we could not find it, we
went home and continued counting birds at our feeders for Project
FeederWatch. With the snow, we had many birds. The most numerous were
American Goldfinches with 33 counted at one time. In second place were the
Dark-eyed Juncos with 16 at one time. The only other sparrows we have just
now are the Song and White-throated Sparrows.

It is interesting to observe feeder behaviors. When the Blue Jays come
screaming in everyone scatters. However, the Blue Jays move aside for the
Red-bellied Woodpeckers. The lone Carolina Wren doesn't seem to move aside
for anybody. The Black-capped Chickadees, Tufted Titmice and White-breasted
Nuthatches carry their food off elsewhere to either store or eat it.
Finally, the Mourning Doves come in and sweep up after everyone. The
earliest and latest birds are often the Northern Cardinals. Oh, yes, by the
tracks, the White-tailed Deer come at night looking for leftovers.

Fourteen species were at the feeders today. I hope the Hairy Woodpecker
comes in tomorrow. Otherwise, we will keep our eyes open for the oddball.
Herb Myers, Harman, Randolph County

Join us on Facebook!