Date: 1/7/20 3:58 pm
From: Barbara Volkle <barb620...>
Subject: [MASSBIRD] 1/4 Muddy River and Leverett Pond
Thanks to Paul Peterson for this report.

Sorry for the delay getting this message out.

Barbara Volkle
Northborough, MA
<barb620...>

*

From: Paul Peterson <petersonpaul63...>
Subject: 1/4 Muddy River and Leverett Pond
Date: Sat, 4 Jan 2020 20:42:19 +0000 (UTC)

This is in Jamaica Plain, Longwood, and the Fenway. I covered the entire length of the Muddy River. So surprised to see two large White-throated Sparrow flocks of thirty-two birds and twenty-five birds each in the Fenway. One was at Brookline Ave. and Fenway (actual name of road), the other in the Fenway Victory Gardens. I haven't seen numbers like this in ten years or more anywhere!

Great Blue Heron 4                        all in river
WOOD DUCK 6                             four pond, two river
AMERICAN BLACK DUCK 130     all in river
Ring-necked Duck 27                    pond, except one
Common Merganser 4                  pond
Hooded Merganser 3                    one pond, two eiver
Red-tailed Hawk 1
Belted Kingfisher 1                       pond; ice-free
Carolina Wren 1
 White-throated Sparrow 66         WOW!
Song Sparrow 12
FOX SPARROW 1                       Victory Gardens, at that feeder
Dark-eyed Junco 1
Red-winged Blackbird 8
American Goldfinch 8                  feeding on ground with the largest white-throated flock

P.S. I did not count Mallards, but there definitely were many. What fun!

Paul Peterson
<petersonpaul63...>
Boston

Join us on Facebook!