Date: 1/7/20 2:24 pm
From: Gregg Goodrich <gregggoodrich...>
Subject: [cobirds] Pygmy-Owl & Red Crossbills Douglas County
Today 1/7/2020 we had a Northern Pygmy-Owl at Hwy 67 and Rampart Range
road. It was down trail #787 on the SE corner of the parking lot. The eBird
list below has a recording of the Red Crossbills that were agitated by the
Owl, plus photos of each.

This lot is good for crossbills and other mountain species. We were lucky
descending the trail that the Red Crossbills and Pygmy Nuthatches were very
disturbed by the Northern Pygmy-Owl, thus giving away it’s location. Hear
the very fast pace of the Red Crossbill (type 2) calls on the recording in
the list.

This parking lot is good in the winter because very few ATV’s use it at
this time of year. Forget it in the summer. Way to much noise from the
machines.

https://ebird.org/checklist/S63135083

Thanks
Gregg Goodrich