Date: 1/7/20 10:38 am
From: Richard Radis <00000f9e38b6ef3b-dmarc-request...>
Subject: [JERSEYBI] Very preliminary results of the Barnegat Christmas Count
Dear Barnegat CC Participants,
Thank you so much for helping out on what was for many a hard day's birding.

As of 1/7 the species total for Sunday's count stands at 111, (a number based on the wrap-up and texts and emails and phonecalls discussing only highlights, so the total will probably go up a bit).  This is quite low compared to recent years, and when I send out the complete count totals I'll explore some possible causes.  But the count had some notable highlights, including a count-first Ash-throated Flycatcher, and an Orange-crowned Warbler and Razorbills from the Holgate Party, Iceland Gull and Razorbill at Barnegat Light, plus 2 Golden Eagles, Blue-winged Teal, Northern Saw-whet Owl, Lapland Longspur, Great Egret (Count-week on 1/3),  and Black Guillemot, another count-week bird seen at Barnegat Inlet on Monday morning 1/6 (and still there today I hear; I don't think this species has ever been seen on a BCC).
Numbers of common species were strikingly low; this includes geese, ducks and other waterbirds, hawks, owls, woodpeckers, crows and jays, thrushes, parids, regulids, mimids, sparrows, and finches--and perhaps even gulls. The daylong strong winds (which kept an offshore boat party in port) were surely a factor , but some observers' impressions were that numbers of birds--particularly passerines--were simply absent.
I will send out a spreadsheet in a week or two when I have all the totals.
Please pass this email along to party members I may have missed in this mailing.
All the best, and thanks again,
Rick Radis

or e-mail to <njbrcreport...>
List help: <jerseybi-request...>