Date: 1/7/20 7:30 am
From: Richard Gregg <greggra...>
Subject: F.O.Y.: Herring Gull
My First Of Year sightings:
Herring Gull 1.
See attached checklist for photo.
I had it labeled as a Ring-billed Gull in my field notes. I was getting ready to delete the poor quality photo when I noticed there was no “ring” around the bill but a “spot" on the lower mandible. Then I noticed the pink legs.
Saved by the camera. Again.
I’m not sure whether it’s a sub-adult or not. The spot should be red on a full adult. Any other gull with pink legs and a black spot would be rare at this location.

Also a Belted Kingfisher 1M.
I hope it's the male “rescued” on Nov. 2nd of last year.
(Here’s that checklist showing him caught in fishing line: https://ebird.org/checklist/S61131309 <https://ebird.org/checklist/S61131309>)
We can only hope!

Rick Gregg
Kanawha Co.

> Begin forwarded message:
>
> From: <ebird-checklist...>
> Subject: eBird Report - Marmet Lock and Dam, Jan 6, 2020
> Date: January 7, 2020 at 10:10:09 AM EST
> To: <greggra...>
>
> Marmet Lock and Dam, Kanawha, West Virginia, US
> Jan 6, 2020 11:17 AM - 2:12 PM
> Protocol: Traveling
> 0.85 mile(s)
> Checklist Comments: Mostly clear, 80%. Breezes.
> 13 species
>
> Canada Goose (Branta canadensis) 9
> Mallard (Anas platyrhynchos) 15
> Rock Pigeon (Feral Pigeon) (Columba livia (Feral Pigeon)) 6
> Herring Gull (Larus argentatus) 1 Field notes stated, "Ring-billed Gull". The adult plumage with a black gonydeal spot threw me. Lucky to have the photo showing the pinkish legs. Any other gull with pink legs would be rare.
> Great Blue Heron (Ardea herodias) 1
> Belted Kingfisher (Megaceryle alcyon) 1
> Downy Woodpecker (Dryobates pubescens) 1
> Blue Jay (Cyanocitta cristata) 1
> American Crow (Corvus brachyrhynchos) 1
> European Starling (Sturnus vulgaris) 2
> Northern Mockingbird (Mimus polyglottos) 1
> Song Sparrow (Melospiza melodia) 2
> Northern Cardinal (Cardinalis cardinalis) 1
>
> View this checklist online at https://ebird.org/checklist/S63127117
>
> This report was generated automatically by eBird v3 (https://ebird.org/home)

Join us on Facebook!